Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 8 years ago

What is the best brand/type of rum to make a mojito with?

I want to know what the best type/brand of rum to make a mojito with is? I'd also like it to be not that expensive. I personally do not like Bacardi brand rum, since to me it is very bland and tasteless.

• Geoff
    Favorite Answer

As far as type, I believe it traditionally is made with light (white, clear) rum. However, a lot of people make it with gold or even dark rum because of limited bar supplies, and some people actually prefer mojitos with gold or dark.

As far as light goes, Cruzan estate light rum is a good, cheap choice. It costs maybe $25 or so for a handle of the stuff. If you want something a little different and possibly higher quality, some people swear by Barbancourt which is like $20 for a fifth.

As far as gold goes, Cruzan gold is like $25 for a handle as well. Another option is Gran Reserva.

Wow, that's sad you don't even like Bacardi Superior (I would say that would be the best) But seeing how you don't like Bacardi, my second favorite rum is Malibu Black...it doesn't really have the strong taste of coconut (like original malibu) and it will give your Mojito a bite.

Cruzan light

Any white rum or vodka.