Seniors - Did you or your parents own a station?

BQ - bonus question.

How did the station wagon get it’s name? I have wondered - why was it called a station wagon?

We had one. That was before seat belts. When we traveled long distance. The seats made into a bed. When we had little ones - we hauled their potty chair along too. Oh, my.

@ - while you are up. That definition - somewhat makes sense. Wonder what else it could have been called. There was the panel wagon too - with no side windows.

@ Everyone.

Oops! Sorry folks. I meant to say --- Station Wagon ---. This is one of those embarrassing questions - that Handy asked about.

• Favorite Answer

My parents always had station wagons. Whenever we went on summer vacations, the station wagon would always be filled to capacity with clothes, beach equipment, pets, books, and toys. We couldn't have done it with a sedan.

They got their name because the original purpose of such vehicles was to haul people's luggage to and from railway stations.

(I did once know some people who actually owned a station. On a discontinued railroad line. They converted it into a house.)

• ?

A famous person in the U.K. (Jim Bowen) - probably not all that well known outside U.K. - bought a disused station and made it into a beautiful home. The lines are still there and trains pass through but he now lives in the building that was the station waiting room, ticket office etc.

As for a station wagon, no, I've never owned one and don't know anyone who did but plenty people would have I'm sure. The only vehicle with wheels and an engine that I've ever owned was a motorbike.

• ?

When his family began to grow, dad got station wagons. He seemed to prefer Oldsmobiles (I think Olds made a stationwagon with fake wood panels on the outside sides). Yes, and the backseat folded down flat so we could have a long bed back there although I think we preferred to have seats and a smaller bed back there so we could take turns sitting properly. Dad had one stationwagon that had a crank outside for the back window, I thought that was so neat, just crank away and down goes the window but you couldn't open or close the thing while the care was in motion. This was before passengers vans and SUVs. When we went on vacation dad would put our luggage and stuff up on the roof (had these railings up there) and a tarp over it all with ropes tying it down. And once when the oldest kids were approaching about 16, we drove cross-county and dad had to rent a small trailer to put the luggage in because we kids were taking up all the room inside of the car and the roof wouldn't hold everything (that was the trip my older brother had to do his practice driving during).

No, although roomy cars my Dad was a mechanic and never had a new car. I never owned one either. I do see a car called Magnum that looks like a snazzy station wagon. I bet kids now a days don't even know the term station wagon. More SUVs and Vans. I'll look now to see if anyone knows how it got it's name. I don't know.

• Keith

No Station wagons but I remember my step dad's 1947 Ford panel truck. In good condition it would probably be worth a kings ransom these days. It had a mattress in the back and was his camping and fishing vehicle. This was long before the hippies and their love wagons and VW vans.

Mine was a 1955 Chevy station wagon. Back in the Day I was too poor to pay the $6 to stay in a motel and so I slept in the wagon when I went on trips. More than once I woke up and found police shining flashlights through the windows at me. After they would see I was just sleeping they would go and leave me alone. That was in California.

• LeRoy

Yes, I've had many of them. In my young years they were useful in carrying the kids and all the necessary paraphernalia required to keep them entertained on overnight trips. I switched to regular sedans for awhile when the price of gas started going up over $1 a gallon but when they started making small wagons, I came back. The kids were grown by then. When I bought my own land in 1984 I bought a PU truck and have stuck with them ever since.

• ?

We had a wagon when we had young children and when our lives required a lot of carrying room. Now we have small hatchbacks that can't carry more than we can lift which isn't that much, at least not safely. At our age, we do not have the time to waste with downtime for backaches or sprains.

• ?

My Dad had a company car that was a station wagon, he was a supervisor for construction sites. I never bothered to stop and wonder why they called it a station wagon.

Yes Kings Cross