Can I file for unemployment in Hawaii when I worked as an independent contractor for an out-of-state company?

Hi,

I recently lost my job and I need to file for unemployment. The problem is I worked as an independent contractor for a company based out of Sarasota, Florida although I am living in Hawaii. Is it possible to file for any kind of unemployment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, currently I am almost 6 months pregnant and I don't know what I am going to do to make up for the lost income.

Please help!

Thanks,

Carolina

Favorite Answer

As an Independent Contractor you are considered self-employed. As such you will NEVER be able to collect unemployment.

Working for yourself is great except when you are no longer employed. You are not eligible for ANY government programs. The company you worked for as an independent contractor can't help you. The unemployment funds come from THEIR MONEY. That's why they work with independent contractors, No cost to them other than your labor. No taxes paid on you. No disability for you, No job benefits for you, and no unemployment benefits either. Also you aren't eligible for Welfare or food stamps.

I've worked for myself for 30 years. It's been great to be my own boss. But when it comes to getting government 'help' you are screwed.

File For Unemployment Hawaii

If you were a valid independent contractor then you were self-employed and not eligible for unemployment. If you think you should have been treated as an employee, go to your unemployment office and file and be prepared to explain the situation.

• HD

no you can't get unemployment, an independent contractor is basically self employed.

you're not eligible anywhere. ICs are independent businesspeople and you're supposed to have multiple clients whom you do work for.

Source(s): retired businessman