Can a 17 year old date a 24 year old over the internet?

I'm 17 and a few months ago, I met a guy online and we really hit it off from the first conversation. We began talking about the website at first, then the conversation moved onto introducing ourselves, then we talked about our personal lives, and then we started talking about college, which we both want to... show more I'm 17 and a few months ago, I met a guy online and we really hit it off from the first conversation. We began talking about the website at first, then the conversation moved onto introducing ourselves, then we talked about our personal lives, and then we started talking about college, which we both want to study the same field. From the beginning, we were both very aware of our age difference, and we discussed it several times. Just 2 weeks ago, we revealed to eachother that we both had feelings for eachother, but he made it clear he doesn't even want to meet me in person until I turn 18. We've talked on the phone millions of times, and we've talked over webcam as well. I live in Pennsylvania, and he lives in Ohio. Here in PA, the age of consent is 16. I realize there is a pretty big age gap between us, but we've both had problems with relationships and could never seem to find someone who suited ourselves, and then we met eachother, and we've been best friends ever since. I just want to know if he's right to steer clear of me until I turn 18, or if it's actually okay for us to date, even if it's just over the internet, because I turn 18 in a little over 6 months. I need good advice here guys, I'm very aware of what I'm doing, so please don't criticize.
Update: I'm asking legally. We have all the personal details figured out, like how the relationship would work, but would it be illegal for us to date?