Removing my middle name. Need help!?

I wish to remove my middle name from my birth certificate and all other legal documents. I know the forms I need to fill out, but I'm a little confused. See, I was born in the state of California but I know currently reside in Puerto Rico. PR has its own laws and government so I cannot "go to my local courthouse" because of these simple reasons and because I was born in the states. My question is, do I have to go to court in California, where I was born with all my documents? Do I simply send them and wait for them to be revised? If someone could answer these questions and give me some good information or a phone number I can call I would greatly appreciate it.

4 Answers

  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    You need a court ordered change of name in order to amend the birth certificate.

    You can change your name in Puerto Rico and that would be legal in every other US jurisdiction.

    While you are a legal resident of Puerto RIco, their courthouses are your "local courthouses." Puerto RIco is NOT a foreign country, it is a U.S. territory..

  • 8 years ago

    Yeh it's complicated--

    1) Petition for a name change in the court that can do that where you live.

    2) Send the name change order to California Dept. of Health, or Vital Records, or whatever it's called.

    Two whole steps.

    Source(s): Rocket science.
  • 8 years ago

    You have to file where the documents were issued. Because you are out of state, you'd best get a lawyer to represent you and deal with the paperwork.

  • Pieman
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

    don't bother with it.

    If u don't like your middle name, just change it. You would probably have to do every thing in California.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.