promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
pdooma
Lv 7
pdooma asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

EPA requires an overhaul of the state's Sewage Treatment plant, State passes on a "Flush Tax" to homeowners?

How is this not increasing taxes on the middle class?

And then the septic tank fee, that goes to help "replace" septic tanks? If those tanks fail, the Homeowner is already required to replace them at their own cost.

"Flush fee: At least some Marylanders will start paying more on their utility bills, as the state's so-called flush fee doubles from $2.50 a month to $5.

O'Malley pushed for the increase as a cornerstone of Maryland's effort to restore the Chesapeake Bay. The change will raise about $50 million more annually and keep the state on track to finish upgrading its largest sewage treatment plants by 2017, as required under a "pollution diet" imposed by the Environmental Protection Agency.

"It will help the state meet its EPA-mandated pollution target," said Samantha Kappalman, spokeswoman for the Maryland Department of the Environment.

Septic fee: Households on septic systems also will see the amount they must pay double, from $30 a year to $60, with the fee typically wrapped into annual property tax bills. The money will be used to replace failing septic systems and to pay farmers to plant pollution-absorbing cover crops in the fall."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics...

Oh, and yes, that "millionaire's tax" that raises taxes retroactively on individuals making $100,000 or more in one of the highest cost of living states (#5) in the country. That, my friends, is tapping the middle class.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • justa
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

When my septic failed I paid for a new one. It's my property and well, golly gee genius I didn't want poopy smells all over it.

Things cost money, and if I'm getting value for my dollar I don't really mind. If that's what the State of Maryland needs to do to keep its air and water from smelling like a toilet....so be it.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

That's representative of a general trend in our current government.

Taxes are at a historic low and there's so much anti-tax mantra out there, however, if we expect services from our government we need to pay for it somehow.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

These kind of taxes wouldn't seem so bad if we weren't also paying about a billion/day to feed baby killers all around the world.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Liberals are all for MORE taxes, here are but few of the hidden taxes from the scam ObamaCare

The House is expected to vote on H.R. 436, the "Protect Medical Innovation Act" next week. The bill repeals the 2.3% tax on medical device manufacturers found in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) (aka "Obamacare") law. According to the Joint Committee on Taxation, this tax increase will sap $29 billion from job creators over the next decade and will add higher costs passed along to veterans with prosthetics, seniors with pacemakers and children with braces. The bill is sponsored by 239 member of the house, including 10 democrats. This vote will be the House's 30th to repeal all and/or parts of PPACA. The Senate has not had any votes on PPACA repeal.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

So you're maintaining that either the overhaul wasn't necessary or that it shouldn't be paid for. You are not making a valid case either way.

• and your point is?

you want to eat and drink poo?

if cons can't even support proper sewage treatment, are we doomed as a society?

what is a valid use of taxpayer money then? lol?

• 8 years ago

Liberals spend more, they waste more, they control us more, they are basically commies now and if we allow them to continue their power grab on us, our kids have no future left, they will end up being Robots to Govt. Slaves basically to the liberal left communist party.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.