Why can't I get attendance allowance for my husband.?

My husband has had Emphysema (COPD) for the past eight years but until 8 months ago was able to get about with the use of a wheeled trolley with seat to enable him to sit down when he got breathless. He has now become worse, he can only walk up to 8 yards in the house without getting out of breath sometimes when he... show more My husband has had Emphysema (COPD) for the past eight years but until 8 months ago was able to get about with the use of a wheeled trolley with seat to enable him to sit down when he got breathless. He has now become worse, he can only walk up to 8 yards in the house without getting out of breath sometimes when he gets up out of the chair he cannot walk due to breathlessness

I am unable to leave him for a second, he has great difficulty in using the stairs, dressing, showering etc. and I have to be in earshot of him in case he needs help so I sit on the stairs whilst he has finished. He does absolutely nothing in the house, we have had to employ gardeners and handymen to do jobs for us.

I am up 4/5 times a night because of his coughing and him being unable to breathe and I have been shown by the Physio in hospital how to massage his back to releave the breathlessness.

He has to use a urinal in order to lessen the times he has to use the toilet, we have hand rails and disabiliy chairs in the bathroom so he can sit down when he has showered,

We are in the throws of getting a stairlift and having a downstairs toilet installed and buying a mobility scooter all out of our own savings (and we only have our pensions) to enable us to get out of the house, as when he is sat down he is fine, apart from a couple or coughing do's.

This year he has had pneumonia twice with an ambulance coming and going with 'blue lights'.

I have applied for Attendance Allowance which they have refused and a blue badge to enable him to park nearer shops which they have refused. We have not been out of the house since before christmas 2011 apart from Hospital visits and doctors visits when we have to hire a taxi to take us there and bring us home because of the distance we have to walk. when we get there we have to get a wheelchair for him.

I am 70 years of age and get no help at all, my sons live away and my daughters-in-law work and have children to look after so there is no-one to sit with him so I can take a break.

I am so very distressed and upset that we are getting no help at all and having to use our savings to keep the house heated 24 hours a day and with the bad weather this summer it is costing us a fortune in electricity.

So can someone tell me why we cannot get anything at all when I see people walking about, cutting grass and parking in disabled spots who can climb out of their car and run across the road to the bank.

I have appealed against the decision annd have demanded someone come to our home to see for themselves just what a damned mess we are in.
Update: Hi Kernow Lady, you cannot get the carers allowance until you get the attendance allowance, I have been online today to see what forms I have to fill in but that is what it says, apply for the attendance allowance and when accepted apply for the carers allowance, so I am still up the creek without a paddle.
Update 2: Also the doctors no longer deal with the Blue Badge, it has been taken out of their hands because I rang them up as they know of my husbands condition .
Update 3: Thank you for all your comments and ideas, I would love to give you all a 'best answer'. I think I will do what you say, if I am turned down again I will go to Age UK. When I made the appeal today about my being turned down, they asked me how my husband copes when I am not there, I told them he cannot... show more Thank you for all your comments and ideas, I would love to give you all a 'best answer'. I think I will do what you say, if I am turned down again I will go to Age UK. When I made the appeal today about my being turned down, they asked me how my husband copes when I am not there, I told them he cannot cope, hence the reason I have not left his side since before Christmas and they said, 'but what would happen if you had to go into hospital', I told them he would have to go into care as he cannot manage on his own.
Update 4: Hi Selina, and everyone else, this is the second time I have applied for Attendance Allowance and a Blue Badge, they sent me a letter explaining why we could not have them. It stated my husband has to have toilet problems i.e. be incontinent to be accepted for it, I rang them up and told them I wanted to appeal (as... show more Hi Selina, and everyone else, this is the second time I have applied for Attendance Allowance and a Blue Badge, they sent me a letter explaining why we could not have them. It stated my husband has to have toilet problems i.e. be incontinent to be accepted for it, I rang them up and told them I wanted to appeal (as mentioned above) and told them I had worked for the NHS for 20 years and one of my jobs was issuing incontinence supplies to patients (they used to come in for them themselves so could walk about, do their shopping etc.) and we could not have a blue badge because we don't get Attendance Allowance. My husband cannot even walk to our car without having to sit down for 15 minutes to get his breath back so how can they say being incontinent is worse than not being able to breathe. He has said he would sell his soul to have incontinence problems instead of the problems we have, no disrespect to people with these issues but at least they can breathe. Imagine someone putting
Update 5: apillow over your face and gasping for breath.