How do I know if I am legible for an ABN (Australian Business Number)?

I was hired as an independent salesmen for a local book store and I am earning commission. Although I am not involved in opening or running a business.

Am I still entitled to an ABN?

Best Answer

You don't need an ABN if you are receiving an income as an employee & having tax deducted . Go to the ATOs website & follow the links if you're in doubt.

To get a number is about a 15 min exercise online ...

Source(s): J.,..

If you don't have an ABN the bookstore is required to deduct tax at the top marginal rate from any payments made to you. You will show this in your annual tax return and may be eligible for a refund.

An ABN indicates to the Tax Office that you exist and it will monitor your submission of your quarterly BAS (Business Activity Statement).

If you are receiving commission, not a wage or salary, you are in fact "running a business".

You do not necessarily need to register for GST. The maximum that you could earn before it becoming a compulsory registration used to be $50,000pa, but that has changed and I can't be bothered looking up the new level for you.

The advantage of being GST registered would be for you, as an independent self-employed person, being able to recover input GST on your business expenditure.

Yes anyone can get an ABN . It is free to get the number and enrol. You don't have to use it if you decide you don't need it. You can get it on line but do it through the government site as some people will try and charge you.

• Why on earth would you want one? They are only for businesses and traders that charge GST to their customers.

You SELL books--a source of KNOWLEDGE and you want to know if you are---- LEGIBLE?

I want to know how anyone with your level of spelling or general meanings got a job in Books?

Whats the name of the most selling line you promote?

How to stuff up in English ?