?

Why is Jesus so mean to Trees?

Im a tree hugger, and this is just an OUTRAGE! You can read this is in Mathew 21:19 and Mark 11:13-14 I will recap for you, just because Im awesome.

So Jesus is walking from Bethany and he's feeling a bit peckish. He encounters a fig tree, but unfortunately it is barren as its the off season of the figs. Annoyed, Jesus demands the fig tree to bear him some fruit. However the fig tree doesn't respond ( its a tree) so Jesus, in an act of uncharacteristic rashness, curses the tree to death. This story is weird because Jesus acts so harshly. OK so he is hungry, and we all get cranky when hungry, but come on, the fig tree did nothing wrong! This seems like an abuse of powers to me.

Why was Jesus so darn mean to that poor Tree?!!! I thought he was loving?

Favorite Answer

Maybe he was mean to trees because supposedly he had a father who, according to the bible, ordered the capture of virgins from a village and the slaughter of all its other inhabitants, condoned slavery, threatens non-believers with eternal torment, and picks sides when it comes to certain groups of humans (although he supposedly created all of them). Among many other things.

Source(s): Logic. No evidence to the contrary. Biblical contradictions and immorality.
  • Melkha

I find this quite odd as well, since it is a sin to damage a fruit tree even in the midst of battle. Deuteronomy 20:19

Which means the xtian mangod sinned, not only in this instance but it other verse of the xtian nt as well.

If you know anything about fig trees you know that before the fruit develops fully, there are small nubs that develop into the fruit. These nubs are eatable but this tree though mature enough to bear fruit was not producing as it was supposed to. This sterile tree was just taking up space and God cursed it as a lesson to us that we are expected to grow and produce otherwise we are just taking up space for no reason at all.

Levity aside, good question. Jesus was simply giving his disciples an analogy that everyone must be prepared at all times in their religious walk of faith for the coming of Jesus return or their own unexpected death at an unknown time. The fig trees fruit was inconsistently produced and the tree was found unprepared when Jesus made His appearance.

God bless you.

I agree with bob, he was just proving a point to his disciples. in other things he says he talks about fruit trees, farmers, weeds, ect

jesus is not mean to trees

your taking the verse out of context

• zIp-Ǝ

<insert metaphor for good and bad fruit / works>

I would be very careful in the things I say if I were you.

Christians will try to justify ANYTHING that is in their bible, no matter how ridiculous it is.