What should his knife say?

So I'm writing a book and the main character uses a knife for part of the book that was given to him by his father. I want the knife to have an inspirational sentence on it. It needs to be a short sentence and can't say something like "never give up with out a fight" because that is to cheesy. Thanks for the help!

Oh and my character is a master assassin.

Favorite Answer

I wonder how many people, like me, came to this question because they thought it was about a talking knife XD

It definitely needs to be a short sentence, because it would be written on the blade - which, for a knife, is generally short and thin. Moreover, general wear-and-tear (knives aren't exactly made to last well in a fight) would have a good chance of rubbing off the inscription.

So if, for example, it DID say, "Never give up without a fight", if damaged, it could end up reading something like, "Never <unidentifiable scrawl> fight", which is an odd thing to have on a blade.

(I should add that I say it'd be written on the blade, because knives don't have significant cross-guards or pommels, and it's a generally bad idea to write something on the grip - which, actually, I don't think a knife has much of either. So you'd be looking at the blade, right?)

I would suggest one word - something significant to the story and character. "Valor", "home", "love" and "blood" could all work in different contexts. What would work best for your plotline?

"When words fail . . . "

Good luck with your decision,

~Dr. B.~

p.s. Consider adding more meaning my making the inscription something that relates strongly to the theme of your book. Perhaps in an ironic way. Also, it would carry more punch if the knife itself were special in some way (e.g., took it from his fist victim, a gift from a beloved mentor).

Stay strong; Do not fall.

"Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out!"