Seniors, Have you ever eaten cold fruit soups during hot summer days?

A couple of days ago we had some cold sour cherry soup, today we had for the first time cold gooseberry soup.

Both were very tasty and refreshing on these hot summer days when cooking hot meals is just too much effort.

have any of you ever tried cold fruit soups or do you have any recipes for hot summer meals?

!, your soups sound good.

These fruit soups are really easy to make and very refreshing in the heat.

have to make sure all the pitts are removed from the cherries or you could bite into one.

boil the fruit with a dash of salt, add sugar, cinnamon, a few cloves.( Half kilo of fruit to a quart of water.)

When fruit is soft enough mix about 1 tbs. of flour with a small amount of cream, sour cream or milk until not lumpy and add to the fruit, bring back to a boil then shut off and let cool, put in fridge until cold.

Some people also add an egg white when serving but we usually skip that.

We used cream and an egg yolk added into the gooseberry soup just after it was finished cooking and before cooling.

Favorite Answer

I'm not a big lover of soups, cold or hot. I remember my Hungarian grandmother making that cold cherry soup. Hungarians like sour fruit and this was! Not a big lover of sour tastes either.

• Kai

Oh yes! Back in my 20s, there was a Hungarian restaurant we used to go to and they served cherry soup--yum! Never tried to make it myself. And now I have to be careful about how much fruit I eat (diabetic). Roommate of mine many years ago made avocado pear soup (guess they call avocados pears in some places). I would think you could probably make all kinds of fruit or melon soups, maybe not all with cream, they'd be sort of like aguas, except not sweetened. But then, why would I want to go to so much prep trouble if I can eat the fresh fruit, no fuss, no muss?

• ROXY

The only cold soup I have ever tried was from a recipe main ingredients were Zucchini and something else I don't remember ,have been looking for that recipe ever since,I'll know it when I see it.

fruit soup sounds delicious ,especially the cherry,will check out recipes come summer time .

• Lily

Yes they're quite delicious Marilyn. My absolute fave is a mixture of summer fruits blended together with a glass of white wine. It's so refreshing.

I don't mind substituting fresh for canned either if I'm pushed or as a last resort.

• Blank

Yes, I love them. We make gazpacho, strawberry soup (has a little bit of port wine in it), and borscht when I have beets growing. I also like savory, tomato based smoothies. I either add ice and pull out the lumps after blending or freeze tomato juice. These are a lot like V8 but thicker.

I've never eaten a fruit soup, hot or cold (unless tomatoes are considered fruit).

Cold fruit soup--one of the joys of summertime!

Yes, My Grandmother use to make cold peach soup for me when I was a kid

Borscht is good, so is vichysoisse but my favourite is an american recipe for cold cucumber soup.

• ?

Soups are meant to be served warm, cold soup is puke food.