Have you struggled to live with mentally disabled child, ignored for years by health care providers, too late?

they let the child age out of the system until he/she turned 18 and now its too late - the damage is done between you and this child. You nicely asked for help for years, started pounded desks when it got acute and violent, but now that child is of "legal age" and you cannot help anymore? What do you do... show more they let the child age out of the system until he/she turned 18 and now its too late - the damage is done between you and this child. You nicely asked for help for years, started pounded desks when it got acute and violent, but now that child is of "legal age" and you cannot help anymore? What do you do with this child? They don't belong in criminal justice system, they continue to point fingers at a "bad parent" along with family when all you did was sacrifice and work your tail off to keep this kid going. You've spent nearly two decades protecting this pathological kid and now you cannot get them to work or get out of your household to go on to a better place.

These kids cannot make it on their own, won't work, I will not turn my car keys over to this child who does not understand consequences, and has already sent us into outrageously deep poverty. Father abandoned years ago and got away with it.

Tough love says throw the kid out, while all intellectual and parental instincts knows this kid is going to fail miserably because they simply do not have the foresight to tread water. Although they acknowledge the A.D.D., no counselor would step up to help this kid learn how to organize the brain around it and a single parent just kept taking the blame. Careers lost, living in deep poverty trying to keep other kids going - no retirement plan - the rest of us are screwed. Other kids in family have watched it for years.

Anyone working within the social service system are so messed up themselves, they cannot see the forest from the trees. First person reporting by a pathological messed up teen who doesn't understand reality nor consequences is the only thing they will listen to.

The state I live in spends millions of dollars in rejecting services. I went as far as the Governor's office to get him some help - but he was sent to a program that's goal was to teach the parent how to parent. I already know how - have other successful kids - yet they ignore them.

SIck stuff going on in the world of children. People in these social service systems are their to cash a paycheck and keep their jobs.

It's tough when the parent is smarter than the providers. Honey does not work over vinegar - we cannot win.

So this child is over 18, I hold all of the responsibility yet absolutely no ":control." The only control I want is to get the kid proper help so that he can go on to have a happy life. I need my life back. No dependency issues on the part of this parent - I want my life back!