Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 8 years ago

What exactly is obamacare?

I'm so confused.

Everyone is either saying how great it is or how horrible it is.

What exactly does it do?

I'm 17 and don't really keep up with news, so I dont know anything about it.

Why are people for it? Why are they against it?

And could someone tell me without their party involved? Meaning, I just want to know what it does.

Favorite Answer

It actually won't go into effect until 2014. There are 10 to 20 million of us that don't qualify for any health insurance in our state. Either make too much(for Medicaid - only get it if you have children) or make too little to actually able to buy private coverage.

This law works as tax deduction ...so in 2014 the g'vt will pay 100% than year after that 90% of cost. It will work along the same lines as Medicaid. Everyone in the U.S. will have to get insurance ...the cost will range from $95.00(single person) to $615.00(family)...this is the max. let's say you refuse to get any insurance ...then it will be deducted from your tax-return at the end of the year. ...most of the uninsured are children.

The only drawback: will make it harder/more expensive for some small businesses to some employees. but that means the employee will have to contribute a tiny bit more.

NOTE: let's say we do nothing ...for example, right not if an uninsure goes to a hospital it cost the rest of the country about $1000.00 per person, with this new plan ...it costs far less!

Source(s):

Note: Japan, England, Canada and some countries in Europe already have a health care system such as this. Some of these countries have a budget so they have a ration/limit on how much they can spend on each person ...therefore it keeps the national health budget in check. Clinton tried to pass it year ago ...but face hard opposition from Republicans

• renner

What Exactly Is Obamacare

Obamacare is like this health insurance/medical aid kind of thing. Obama said that he wants every American to get this because most people get health insurance only when they get sick. If there is such a thing as Obamacare then everyone will have health insurance even before they are sick(as a precaution). I'm not sure about the reasons behind the for/against and stuff(I'm not American) but I know that 56% of people are against it and 44% are for it. Mitt Romney is also against it and he said "In order to get rid of Obamacare, we need to get rid of Obama". That's all I know. Hope I helped!

So far, it has stopped insurance companies from refusing to cover people with pre-existing conditions from acne to rape. It has extended coverage to kids up to 26, instead of them becoming uninsured when they turn 18. The only thing the ACA has done is try to provide health insurance for more people. It would have been much better if they had taken over health care with a system like Medicare for all, but too many big corporations make money from taking in premiums and then paying out as little as possible.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What exactly is obamacare?

I'm so confused.

What exactly does it do?

And could someone tell me without their party...

Source(s): obamacare: https://shortly.im/bgB9B

It is so confusing nobody really knows what it will mean in the end. That's one of the problems.

The other problem was created yesterday by John Roberts. He found it constitutional under Congress's power to tax under the "Tax and Spend" clause in the Constitution. The problem with that is that this clause does not limit the power of Congress to tax or spend only for issues that are constitutional. That power, as far as the Constitution is concerned, applies to any subject. I see this ruling as permitting the Federal Government to regulate any activity or conduct by taxing it in a way that requires compliance.

For those that doubt this, look at the history of the Federal Government in education. Education authority or responsibility is not granted to the Federal Government in the Constitution. It was generally believed by Constitutional scholars that the Federal Government could not intercede in education as late as the 1960's (when I received my education). But when the federal government decided to intercede, it did so using the "Tax and Spend" clause. The states became so reliant on Federal money that they could not function without it. But the Federal Government then imposed multiple conditions and requirements in order to receive the money. This clause is now at work again. No telling what activity will be "taxed" in the future but it seems any activity is now within reach of being required, prohibited or regulated by the Federal Government.

So much for any personal freedom.

Since the bill is some 3,000 pages long, even the LAWYERS are still not sure of all of it.

It is alleged to be a way to control prices of health insurance while making sure that almost everybody DOES have health insurance; but don't quote me on that.

• John

A financial disaster in the making.