What is Quintessence?

I am doing a report on Quintessence and I cant figure out how to describe it. I've read something about it can be found in lightning? It's the stuff of life, something about dark energy?

There is this television show called W.I.T.C.H where five girls have the power to control water, fire, earth, air and quintessence. The girl who controls quintessence can shoot lightning and make things come alive??

So what exactly is quintessence??

Favorite Answer

quin·tes·sence

noun

1. the pure and concentrated essence of a substance.

2. the most perfect embodiment of something.

3. (in ancient and medieval philosophy) the fifth essence or element, ether, supposed to be the constituent matter of the heavenly bodies, the others being air, fire, earth, and water.

Origin: 1400–50; Middle English < Medieval Latin quīnta essentia fifth essence

Related forms

quin·tes·sen·tial

If you are going to watch shows about witches you are going to hear a lot of old words, Latin, and just murky stuff. People who dabble in those subjects get stupider and stupider.

OK, first unlink television from knowledge. Quintessence simply means the very best most pure something can be. If you find one politician that does everything right, hand-shakes with the best, supports his constituents and does the most good he has political quintessence. If you are the best in your school at cup stacking (as an example) and your skills are such that other cup stackers are in awe of you; you would have cup-stacking quintessence--or to use the adjectival form you would be the quintessential cup-stacker.

Now as to your television show "WITCH" since they are using the classical four elements of magick and ancient philosophy--earth, air, water, fire--I can only assume they are using quintessence incorrectly as a synonym for Aether. The supposed fifth element that controls emotion and naturally the one thing the ancients knew that was definitely not earth, air, fire or water and that is electricity or in it's raw form, lightning.

Now turn off your t.v. and go read a book. I suggest something from Albert Camus or Tad Williams.

• Amy

In physics: a hypothetical form of dark energy that scientists think explains observations of an accelerating universe

Or:

aether: the fifth element. The greeks thought it was what filled the sky above the terrestrial sphere.

Good luck!(: