I want to get into classical music?

I want to get into classical music but the most i know is like motzart.. im 14 and have only listened to rock.. can someone please tell me people i should know and things i should know and artists to look up and what songs to get? <3

@ mike :c im sorry now i feel bad... i honestly just have a strong interest in this i didnt mean to offend anyone :'( i just dont know where to start! im tired of rock i want to broden my musical interests and not be cosed minded

honestly i dont really have friends im really sorry but i love music more than anythng and im tired of all this kesha and what ever :'( im sorry if its such a crime to love music and have an interest! my friends arnt my friends anymore because im starting to listen to all this! im sorry i just want to be open minded about this and be educated is that really taht bad? im really sorry

Favorite Answer

Well, some of the big composers (aside from Mozart) are Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Prokoviev, Rachmaninoff, Vivaldi, Shostakovitch, Handel, Haydn, Schumann, Schubert, Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Debussy.... and lots more.

It helps to know what sort of classical music you're interested in. Do you want to try out all sorts of things, and have some variety? Or is there a specific genre you like, such as solo piano music, orchestral music, etc? Here's a list of some of my favorite pieces.

Cello sonata no. 1 in e minor by Brahms (all three movements are gorgeous, but the first is my favorite)

Traumerei by Schumann

Moonlight Sonata by Bach (the first movement is the most famous, and incredibly beautiful, but it's all great)

Italian Concerto by Beethoven (I especially love the 2nd movement)

Clair de Lune by Debussy

Piano Sonata no. 11 in A major by Mozart (I especially love the alla turca-- turkish march)

Swan Lake Suite, op.20: scene by Tchaikovsky

The Four Seasons by Vivaldi

Carnival of the Animals: Le Cygne (the Swan) by Saint-Saens

Romeo and Juliet, Suite No. 2, Op. 64c: Montagues and Capulets by Prokoviev

The Magic Flute, K. 620: Queen of the Night - "Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen" by Mozart

Serenade of the Doll by Debussy

Hungarian Dance no.5 in G minor by Brahms

Concerto no.5 in E-flat major for piano and orchestra, op.73 'Emperor' by Beethoven (the 3rd movement is my favorite)

Les Toreadors from Carmen by Bizet

Habanera from Carmen by Bizet

Ride of the Valkyries by Wagner

The Goldberg Variations by Bach (I think the best recording is Glenn Gould's 1955 recording. It's also fun to compare it to Gould's 1981 recording.)

The Barber of Seville: Overture by Rossini

Radetzky March, Op. 228 by Johann Strauss I

Pictures at an Exhibition: The Great Gate of Kiev by Mussorgsky

A good place to start would be with the album 100 Most Essential Pieces of Classical Music. It's only $8 on iTunes, and it has 100 songs. Several of the ones I listed are form that album.

• bka

cool.

theres a lot of it, so its not like current pop styles where you just find the most popular tunes of the last year in that subcategory...

...but it IS usually specific pieces that get you hooked...

so...when i was your age, heres a few things i liked.

mendelssohn "hebrides overture"

sibelius karelia suite

bach brandenburg concerto #3 and #6

tchaikovsky 4th symphony (or .. 2nd symphony is a little catchier)

tchaikovsky souvenir de florence

mozart 25th symphony

brahms 1st symphony

grieg string quartet

shostakovich 5th symphony

sibelius 2nd symphony

dvorak 8th symphony

you should know, as you get into it, classical means more than one thing.

there is the "classical era" that is specifically music from the later 1700's to the mid 1800's

most of what i listed is from the time right after that, the "romantic era" but i assume you are thinking the bigger meaning of classical that includes earlier and later music from that tradition as well.

but theres no reason to stop listening to rock!

and you really shouldn't be losing friends over this...

i guess, for some kids, what you listen to can be more of a fashion statement than an actual preference of the sound...

for people who actually like *music*, most styles have both good and bad examples, so they will not list category labels like that.

the intense subcategorization of pop genres has a lot more to do with social cues than actual differences in the music.

listen to what you like.

----

wow, mike. not cool.

you haven't been listening to it that long yourself, why are you mocking someone who's just a little behind you on the path??

You have a wonderful voyage of discovery ahead of you - congratulations! Rather than relying on other people's favourites (and these people's musical taste might be VERY different from yours, after all), the three books below give an excellent introduction to classical music and how to start building a collection. They are all cheaply available through sites like Amazon.

1) 'The NPR Guide to Building a Classical CD Collection' by Ted Libbey. It has good info on the 350 most renowned classical works.

2) 'The Rough Guide to Classical Music' (various contributors)

3) 'Classical Music for Dummies' by David Pogue and Scott Speck

Happy exploring!

I wonder if I will be castigated for earning 'two easy points' (now, how shall I spend them??)?

I knew that if I checked the classical section there'd be a question, asked by you, on how to get into classical music. Because you want to impress all your little friends will lots of big talk and elitism about how you like such a wide variety of music. I don't want to live on this planet anymore. Just so this post isn't totally useless, I'll actually answer it seriously by listing several composers that anyone at any given time should know. And you misspelled Mozart. Congratulations, you're off to a wondrous start.

Beethoven

Haydn

Mozart

JS Bach

JC Bach

Vivaldi

Dvorak

Tchaikovsky

Chopin

Liszt

Stravinsky

Rachmaninoff

Handel

• There are no songs or pieces to get. You play pieces you are ready for for a certain amount of experience you have. But in my opinion, Beethoven and Chopin are two very important composers to look into. Franz Liszt is also another great composer.

You need a teacher to assign music specifically designed for your level and playing abilities. Without a teacher, you could learn many pieces the wrong way. Eventually when you have enough experience, you will be able to play pretty much any piano piece in existence, one your sight reading and techniques get extremely good. You will thus be able to choose your own pieces at that point. Without a teacher, this is almost impossible.

Best regards.

Source(s): 8 years of piano experience

Oh how cute!!! You wanna get into classical Music!!!

awwww

and you have only listened to rock

and Oh look!! you spelled Mozart wrong

Ok, you do know, this is going to be very very different right? You should start

listening to Debussy, Satie, Ravel, Gershwin and those type of guys instead of taking a big leap like that

Oh and there is stuff you should know about classical music dear,

there are basically 3 periods

the baroque Era

the Classical era

and the romantic era.

Renaissance and Medieval music is too vague and not exciting in m opinion, but if you want to go that far back you could.

you also need to know the important composers

Oooh my gosh the guy above me got it just right. Jason Becker... If you like him you might like Jeff Loomis, Marty Friedman, Yngwie Malmsteen, Rusty Cooley... These are neo-classical style guitarists.

Original classical composers, some of my faves are Paganini, Vivaldi, Brahms and Bach.

Have fun! Classical music is a blast!

Here is the easiest way to get started in classical music:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Guide-Building-Classical...

Listen to Jason becker

Then listen to Paganini, Bach, hadyn, and all that fun stuffs