Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 8 years ago

What does "read between the lines mean" ?

What does "read between the lines" mean? People have said it to me allot before and i think i must sound quite thick because i dont reply.

Help what does it mean?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Best Answer

A lot of the time, and this is confusing, people will say things when I actually mean something else. They may just be trying to be polite, or they're bored or something but "read between the lines" basically means to infer or work out what they're actually saying/writing and understand what it means.

For example, if you read a newspaper or magazine article about a celebrity, they might not directly criticise them, or actually say anything derogatory but you can usually work out pretty fast what they actually think of that person, based on the tone in the writing. Because you can work this out without the article actually spelling it out for you, you have "read between the lines" and figured out that the a writer thinks that so-and-so is whatever...make sense?

• Froll
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

It means that you should be able to understand what they're REALLY telling you even though they didn't say it.

(Also, just to help you out a bit, "allot" is not a word. What you meant to say is "a lot".)

• 8 years ago

It basically means figure out what the writer (or speaker) is trying to tell you without directly saying it :)

• 8 years ago

Well if they hold up three fingers, usually the pointer, middle, and ring finger, they are shooting a bird at you.

Source(s): Personal experience.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.