questions about adding RAM?
i have a pc with 2 gB DDR2 ram memory
buit its too slow so i took 512 mB ram out of my old pc i don't use
i know its both DDR2-ram (i have older PC)
can i just add the new ram to my pc?
does the new DDR2-ram need to have the same speed, latency, etc as the older DDR2 ram?
also i overclocked my RAM which is alreaddy inside my pc using a program called memset.
could it hurt to add the ram or do i need to have the same speed/un-overclock my ram?
i have 2 times one Gb inside my pc and i'm trying to add one time 512 Mb
ps: how do i un-overclock my RAM?
i have no idea how my ram settings were before
- 8 years agoFavorite Answer
You can add any DDR2 RAM to your computer, they don't have to be the same size (512MB, 1GB, 2GB doesn't matter).
They don't have to be the same speed either, your computer will run the RAM at the speed of the slowest RAM, so if you mix 667MHz and 800MHz RAM they will run at 667Mhz, etc.
It would probably be the smartest to remove the overclocking before you put any new RAM in there to let the computer detect them at normal speeds.
- 8 years ago
1. You should un-overclock your RAM because the new RAM might not have the same quality.
2. You need to have the same speed, latency, etc as the older DDR2 ram
3. You do not have to have matching memory size like 1GB with 512MB.
4. By seeing computer's RAM, I would recommend buying 4x1GB DDR2 RAM. In this way you dont
have to worry about the same RAM speed and you can buy a faster RAM for your pc that will make
your pc faster.
5. Good Luck.
- 8 years ago
They have to be the same sizes.
if your computer is also ruining 512mb x4 you could but otherwise no you have to match speeds.
1gb with 1gb
2 gb with 2gb