Is 60 polyphony digital piano enough for expert level pieces?

I ordered a new digital piano.

I seem to hear that the only time you will need 128 polyphony is when the digital piano is playing output from a multi-track MIDI file (basically orchestras).

I'm not going to use MIDI functions, and the piano is primarily for practicing.

I might be learning chopin's etudes and more difficult pieces. But I doubt if there could be any problem at all. What do you think?

Favorite Answer

60 voice poly (sounds like the Korg SP250) will get you a long way. But 128 (or more) are effective in piano music for any passages that require long sustains and/or restrikes of the same key. On a lot of instruments you'll also find the word "maximum" used after the poly number. This is because stereo samples require two voices, and the flagship piano sounds are almost certainly stereo samples. So a 64 voice poly instrument may only produce 32 for piano samples, and 24 for a layered piano/string patch. (or 16 for a double piano patch)..On instruments with a "string resonance" component, several voices are used for that as well.

The OS should mask voices that are dropping out. Often you will never notice while you're playing, but when you do run out of voices it is very obvious.

Simply, it's how many notes can sound simultaneously.

How often are you going to hit 60 keys in a row without damping, or so fast that the first notes should not have already faded?

If you did, the earliest (so quietest) notes in the sequence would get cut off for the new notes to be sounded.

I can't see it being a problem with any normal playing.

Edit - in fact, unless it's a real, full-size keyboard rather than the normal slightly shorter version, it's probably only got about 60 keys... If every key can play simultaneously, it's impossible to 'overload' it.

Why would you ask a digital piano question in a camera forum? Find the right category for your question.