Is Newark, New Jersey, a dangerous city?

I'm from Brazil and my girlfriend is going to be there for some days. We don't have much info about the city here.

• Zeph Y
    Favorite Answer

If you have lived in Sao Paulo or Rio De Janiero you should be fine in Large city environments. Just make sure you are aware of your surroundings. I frequently visit Oakland CA which has the reputation of the 4th most violent city in the US. But I have not had any problems there. I guess there are areas that people know where to stay out of.

• Abused

Since she is from Brazil, I am assuming she will be going to the Ironbound section. It's predominantly a Portuguese/Brazilian community. As far as Newark goes it's generally safe and has great restaurants.

As a New Yorker myself, i don't go to Newark that often. My friend however lives in Newark. When shes there walking on the street/sidewalk, she says she never got robbed, no one has followed her and that its pretty safe. She has been everywhere in Newark. She always talks about her adventures.

In case your wondering or "requiring": she just moved in like a month ago and she is of color.

Be very careful-it has a bad reputation.

yep

use common sense and you'll be fine

Source(s): ..