Is it true that the Roman Catholic Church made suicide a mortal sin so that they could catch and interrogate?

. . . a person? I heard that years ago. I was wondering if anyone did any research on it. Since the Popes had their nose up everyone's business, and actually tortured people under their Inquisitions (there were three different countries with Inquisitional orders; Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian, I believe), why not make it a mortal sin to commit suicide? That way they could catch a person who refrain; afraid of the fires of Hell, and make them talk.

Omar,

I wasn't asking that question. Please, you can be an atheist if you want, but try to stick to the question. If you can't answer it, I'm not surprised, but you didn't have to answer, this is a history question concerning the Romans Catholic Church and their dictates.

body of a dog,

You are wrong.

He was one of the chief supporters of the Alhambra Decree, which expelled the Jews from Spain in 1492. Concerning the number of autos-da-fé during Torquemada's tenure as Inquisitor General, there is a general consensus among the scholars that about 2,000 people were burned at the stake due to prosecution by the Spanish Inquisition in the whole of Spain between 1480 and 1530. In modern times, his name has become synonymous with the Christian Inquisition’s horror, religious bigotry, and cruel fanaticism.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom%C3%A1s_de_Torquem...

Favorite Answer

No.

Murder has always been a mortal sin.

+ The Inquisition +

Modern historians have long known that the popular view of the Inquisition is a myth. The Inquisition was actually an attempt by the Catholic Church to stop unjust executions.

Heresy was a capital offense against the state. It was considered a type of treason. Rulers of the state, whose authority was believed to come from God, had no patience for heretics. Neither did common people, who saw heretics as dangerous outsiders who would bring down divine wrath.

When someone was accused of heresy in the early Middle Ages, they were brought to the local lord for judgment, just as if they had stolen a pig. It was not easy to discern whether the accused was really a heretic. The lord needed some basic theological training, very few did. The sad result is that uncounted thousands across Europe were executed by secular authorities without fair trials or a competent judge of the crime.

The Catholic Church's response to this problem was the Inquisition, an attempt to provide fair trials for accused heretics using laws of evidence and presided over by knowledgeable judges.

From the perspective of secular authorities, heretics were traitors to God and the king and therefore deserved death. From the perspective of the Church, however, heretics were lost sheep who had strayed from the flock. As shepherds, the pope and bishops had a duty to bring them back into the fold, just as the Good Shepherd had commanded them. So, while medieval secular leaders were trying to safeguard their kingdoms, the Church was trying to save souls. The Inquisition provided a means for heretics to escape death and return to the community.

Most people tried for heresy by the Inquisition were either acquitted or had their sentences suspended. Those found guilty of grave error were allowed to confess their sin, do penance, and be restored to the Body of Christ. The underlying assumption of the Inquisition was that, like lost sheep, heretics had simply strayed.

If, however, an inquisitor determined that a particular sheep had purposely left the flock, there was nothing more that could be done. Unrepentant or obstinate heretics were excommunicated and given over to secular authorities with pleas for mercy that were frequently ignored. Despite popular myth, the Inquisition did not burn heretics. It was the secular authorities that held heresy to be a capital offense, not the Church. The simple fact is that the medieval Inquisition saved uncounted thousands of innocent (and even not-so-innocent) people who would otherwise have been roasted by secular lords or mob rule.

The Spanish Inquisition was a civil (not religious) tribunal established in 1480 by Ferdinand II of Aragon and Isabella I of Castile to replace the kinder and gentler Inquisition which was under the control of the Catholic Church.

For more information, see:

+ The Real Inquisition, By Thomas F. Madden, National Review (2004) http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/madden200406...

+ Inquisition by Edward Peters (1988)

+ Religious Dissent in the Middle Ages (1971) edited by Jeffrey B. Russell

+ The Inquisition: A Political and Military Study of Its Establishment (1932) by Hoffman Nickerson

+ Montaillou: The Promised Land of Error (1978) by LeRoy Ladurie

+ Seven Lies About Catholic History (2010) by Diane Moczar

With love in Christ.

No

Sucide is against the law in Judaism and I believe it is considered a sin in all the other Christian denominations.

If you're reading up on these things - see if the early Christian writers of the second through fifth century have anything to say on the issue.

I vaguely remember in a class on the Catholic Saints that a decree was passed by the church aganist martyrdom.

But this is actualy an opposite situation -- the church saw that many Christians were quick to "sacrfice themselves" in the cases of what they perceived as "Pagan" persecution -- in fact they often sought out situations to be persecuted and therefore get an opportunity to martyr themselves.

Besides -- if we're talking Inquisition, we're talking heretics.

If they are already heretics, it is as likely that they would not follow a Catholic decree against suicide as anything else.

If you truly believe in the bible as the inspired word of God, then reason and history point to the Catholic Church as the Church established by Jesus Christ. I don't like to use the term "true Church" because that tends to give the impression that no truth can be found outside of the Catholic Chuch. That's not what the Church teaches and that's not what Catholics believe. The Church teaches that there IS truth in Protestantism. It teaches, howver, that the fulness of truth rests in the teachings of the Catholic Church. Some people think that's arrogant, but to teach anything else would be to say "we don't believe that the fulness of God's truth was deposited anywhere". Jesus Christ said "I will build my CHURCH (singular) and the gates of hell will not prevail against it". It's not that hard to verify by historical information, and there are many protestants who admit this, that the Catholic Church can trace it's lineage back to the beginning of Christ's establishment. The Protestants who admit it, generally say that the Church fell into appostacy at some time in history and lost the trueness of Christs Church. If you believe that, then you don't believe Jesus Christ when he said "the gates of hell will not prevail against it". I personally believe him. We have had many troubles during the 2000 year history, but HIS Church still stands and it will until the end of time as he promised. May the Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

• Dafuq with these answers? Okay, I don't remember the exact details, but basically the Catholics' (Roman Catholics'? Idk I'm not into all that myself) Pope declared suicide a sin because many people were jumping to their deaths for God, as their Devine Right told them to do so. You have to look back at the big picture here, and not so much the declared 'sin'. Ands or I didn't give you this answer sooner, but now is better than never. Much love, and I wish you all the best and I'm sorry if any of these answers scared you. ❤️

The Catholic Church forbids suicide because we obey the commandment "Thou shalt not kill."

The Church also says that most people commit suicide under extreme mental or emotional distress and are not fully responsible for their actions. That's why we are told to pray for such people and ask God's mercy for them.

The prospect of being tortured would certainly qualify as duress. And then there's the question of the potential victim's religion, which may or may not forbid killing oneself in order to avoid compromising other people's safety.

All in all, I'd have to say that whatever you read is just another in a long line of lies and slanders put out there by anti-Catholic bigots.

Source(s): Catholic Christian

80 foot (25 meter) dinosaurs (man-eaters) will come out through sinkholes and lakes. Human souls go either to hell or heaven after death. Suicide, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (rejecting salvation through Christ Jesus), worship of the beast-antichrist (pale gay flying Jew with red eyes, who moves like superman and makes fire come down from the sky), receiving mark of the beast (666 tattoo by lasers), and going into UFO ship to be healed (aliens=demons=ghosts=angels of light surrounding the beast-antichrist) lead to hell. Those who go to be healed in UFO ships by demons will become spiritual zombies destined for hell. When people stretch hands to receive small grey plastic world passport or similar document, 666 tattoo is given by lasers on wrist area or forehead. Food stores will be set up to laser people. Police will laser people on highways. RFID chips, electronic tattoos, and other electronic documents are used to track people to laser them.

sigh.......Accdg to St John, "If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask and God will for him give life to those who commit sin not leading to death. There is a sin leading to death; I do not say that he should make request for this. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is a sin not leading to death," (1 John 5:16-17).

The above is the basis of mortal sin and suicide is a mortal sin . John 5:16; for sin not leading to death, w/c is venial, we could pray to the Lord for forgiveness and it will be forgiven.

It could be true Torguemada's atrocities. But not your conspiracy theory using torture to extract info and prevent people from committing suicide as leading to hell.

Source(s): 1 John 5:16-17).

Very few people we ever tortured under inquisition, and never under the direction of the Church, only under the guise of Church authority.

Probably because of Judas

You are knowledgeable about many things, but are you aware of this scripture?

2 Chronicles 7:14

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

suicides mean less donations if i can just kill myself and go to heaven then who the hell needs a church