whats more powerful an ls1 motor or a ws6 ?

i have a 1999 pontiac trans am its a v8 an on top of fan says ls1 motorsports. is my engine an ls1 or ws6 and which one makes for a faster car. also i have msd igtion coils installed.can you please provide specs. thank you.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

All 1998-2002 Trans Ams have the LS1 engine . WS6's of the same years have the same engines.

WS6 in general is an performance/appearance and suspension option offered on T/A's and Formula's. Some common dead giveaways of a true WS6 is the hood and the components that go with it. The airbox is taller than a stock T/A's to fit up with the Ram Air hood. Also the WS6's came with a sportier suspension, ie, decarbon shocks. Badging on the rear is a definate identifier. Besides the badging, the best way to know for sure is the door sticker on the inside of the drivers side door where you'll see the RPO code "WS6".

The 98-02 WS-6 option consisted of Ram Air induction system, functional air scoops, 5 spoke 17 inch high polished aluminum wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1 275/40ZR17 speed rated tires, low restriction dual exhaust, tuned suspension , and a power steering cooler.

Tuned suspension = shocks with slightly different valving, and larger sway bars

The Formula(98-02) and Trans Am were both available as WS6. The Formula is basically a standard Firebird with the high performance drivetrain and doesn't have as many options as the Trans Am but weighs less.

As for which one is faster, the saying on LS1Tech.com is "an LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1"

Where is the LS1 Motorsports on the car? Is it on the Air Lid similar to this?:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/spltblkribbo...

"LS1 Motorsports" was a parts designer/retailer of LS1 performance parts. They are no longer in business.

• Karen
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awFwO

The Corvette's LS1 engine was more powerful than the one that came in the 2000 WS6. The WS6 LS1 had a milder cam and the intake and exhaust manifolds were slightly more restrictive than the Corvette's LS1 engine. WS6 HP: 320hp Vette HP: 345hp

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

whats more powerful an ls1 motor or a ws6 ?

i have a 1999 pontiac trans am its a v8 an on top of fan says ls1 motorsports. is my engine an ls1 or ws6 and which one makes for a faster car. also i have msd igtion coils installed.can you please provide specs. thank you.

Source(s): whats powerful ls1 motor ws6: https://tinyurl.im/Jdips
  • bryan
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

LS1 is the engine. WS6 an option package for a vehicle.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • als
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Ls1 Motorsports

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

It's the same motor. The hp difference is mainly from exhaust. Look at the replacement crate ls1 motor- same motor for both cars but with a higher hp rating than any of the ls1 cars. And I second the "Dur" and add a "What a moron!"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.