Good classic novels/books?

I'm looking for classic books, such as To kill a mocking bird. I would prefer something with a large vocabulary.

Favorite Answer

My all time favorite classic, is Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo. Just such a great story and such well built characters, with all the classic plot lines......love, death, betrayal, honor, human failings, and redemption........it's got EVERYTHING, and you even learn a few French words along the way.

A thick book, but a pleasant read, and a real page turner.

I am also very fond of the collection of short works by Guy de Maupassant. Witty, sharp stuff.

If you want to read something truly fascinating.......try, "Fingerprints of the Gods" by Graham Hancock. He takes on nothing less than the riddle of the Shinx itself.

If ya want a nice breezy read.......try "Waiting for White Horses", by Nathan Jorgenson.

Good stuff......a pleasant novel about life in general and duck hunting , of all things, but I assure you, after you read this book.....it makes duck hunting seem like the coolest thing in the world, even if you love animals! It was that good!

and if you really want to hurt your brain.........Read "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" by Baigent.

a bit of a slog, with endless references, but absolutely fascinating to watch him slog thru 2,000 years of history.

After you read that......then you *have* to read Dan Brown's DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons , just for laughs.

Dan Brown stole every last word and idea from Holy Blood, Holy Grail.

Brown's character "Teabing".....the grail scholar.......was an anagrm of the REAL Grail scholar, BAIGENT.

Source(s): There........that should hold you for awhile. Enjoy!

i'd go with john steinbeck or joseph heller. very readable. dorothy parker and edith wharton are also good and they wrote some very funny short stories. edith wharton also wrote some good gothic stuff if you like that. the old british ones have very good vocabulary but they can be hard for some people.

robert graves's I, Claudis has some good vocabulary and you might enjoy the historical aspect of the novel.

if you are interested in current events, the new york times is a good choice replete with SAT words. Harper's and The New Yorker are good, too, but they are not as accessible without subscription.

@brian -- as we are in the US, i'd prefer the modern library 100.

Quo Vadis by using Henryk Sienkiewicz This e book is a classic and magnificent! It tells the story of a Roman officer, Vinicius, who falls in love with a Christian woman, Lygia. it fairly is for the duration of the tine of Nero, while the early Christians are not common. At one element interior the story Nero makes a decision to burn Rome, and he blames it on the Christians. it fairly is an epic love tale between 2 those that would not frequently fall in love. i'm rereading it precise now, considering as quickly as I study it the 1st time I skipped the huge words. yet, it fairly is magnificent. if your going to observe the action picture, do no longer watch the 1951 version. Watch the polish version with subtitles. interior the polish version, the characters seem lots extra ideal, and it would not bypass as lots scenes.

So many of the classics are great. If you want to beef up your vocabulary Edgar Allen Poe, Charles Dickens, Robert Louis Stevenson, Jules Verne and Mark Twain are all excellent aurthors. They use big words, words that were popular then but have fallen out of use in modern times, and they use scientific words and nautical words and latin words.

I don't mean to get all Levar Burton on you, but I recently read H. G. Wells' The Time Machine and Alexander Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo and that was some good reading, "but don't take my word for it." The classics are amazing in part because I think it was harder for authors to imagine things that they couldn't see on TV or look up on the internet.

• Anything by Gore Vidal for a good vocabulary and great satire. I highly recommend his Narratives of Empire series, which is FANTASTIC, especially if you like History. His book "Julian" is also one of my favorites.

Joyce Carol Oates is another literary treasure, her 1963 book "Them" is a classic...and she is one of the most prolific authors of REAL literature I've come across.

Others I would include are John Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath," Joan Didion's "Play It As It Lays," Don Robertson's "The Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread," Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451," and "Dandelion Wine"

dystopian scoicietys are popular these days so 1984 by george orwell is good. BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING has to do with the book