Repost: How has gay marriage being legal in Canada caused harm to heterosexual marriage in Canada?

I ask sincerely, because many Christians in the USA claim gay marriage being legal there will harm heterosexual marriages.

If their claim is true, we should already be experiencing these negative effects since gay marriage has been legal here for some time now.

(If this question offends anyone they shouldn't be on the internet, as I asked this in a way that was incredibly neutral)

(22 answers last time, not one supported the position that gay marriage hurt Canada)

Update:

@ Jack: So why are you against gay marriage again if it doesn't hurt anyone?

Update 2:

@ Jack: But what negative effects were caused?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

I TOLD YOU

THAT SECRET UNDERGROUND VOLCANO UNDER TORONTO ERUPTED!

WHY DOESN'T ANYONE BELIEVE ME?!

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Harm is a relative term. What might be considered harmful to one person might not to another. There are different kinds of harm: physical, emotional, spiritual, financial, etc. Therefore, harm is a personal thing that is experienced and is a bit subjective. So, when we ask how gay marriage harms anyone, we have to look at more than just one aspect.

Marriage has been universally acknowledged throughout history as a legal contract between a man and a woman in which there is emotional and sexual fidelity, along with childrearing. But homosexual marriage would change this. Since marriage is also a moral issue, redefining marriage is redefining morals. Furthermore, marriage is an extremely wide-spread practice within any society and has many legal and moral issues attached to it. So, when marriage is redefined, the society is dramatically effected. Legalizing gay marriage means changing the laws of the land. The ramifications are vast and we are seeing the effects of homosexual legal "rights" affecting housing, education, the work place, medicine, the armed forces, adoption, religion, etc. Are all the changes good? That is hotly debated. But we have to ask, is it morally right to force all of society to adopt the morals of a minority? (See Statistics on the percentage of the population that are homosexual and lesbian)

So, how would gay marriage harm anyone? First, let's define harm. Harm is damage to a person physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually, financially, morally, etc. The definition is obviously broad and subjective, and this is problematic. People experience harm in different ways.

Here is a list of ways in which gay marriage can bring harm.

http://carm.org/gay-marriage-harm

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

It still goes against the definition of a real marriage.." The union of a man and a woman ONLY".

What next, a farmer 'marrying' his favourite ewe, a brother 'marrying' his sister, a woman 'marrying' her pet Alsatian... just because ahhh, 'they love each other'.

Those scenarios wouldn't affect real heterosexual marriage either, but it doesn't mean they should be allowed.

• 8 years ago

I do not see how gay marriage could hurt heterosexual way in any way.

Well, I guess it's one of those things that only make sense if you don't think about them (the common Christian approach).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Oh man, it's been terrible. Ever since gay marriage became legal, two consenting adults can have a relationship that does not in any way affect other people. Oh, the horror!

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Yeah, I remember your last post...lots of nonsense answers :)

Let's see, how has it harmed heterosexual marriage in Canada...

Um...

Well...

It hasn't. How about that.

Peace.

• Heterosexuals still marry just fine.

Edit: Gay marriage is contrary to God's design. Ask any electrician about the dangers of getting male and female plugs mixed up.

• ?
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Heaps, their is a shortage of men willing to marry women there now.

• Liam
    Lv 5
    8 years ago

Nothing's changed. Except that thousands more can now marry freely, as is there right.

Source(s): Heterosexual Canadian.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

according to my fundamentalist Dad, if we allow gays to marry, God will "take his hand of protection off the country" and gays are a sign of the apocalypse.

Source(s): atheist
  • 8 years ago

It hasn't. It won't. Anyone who says otherwise is a bigoted idiot.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.