?

How has gay marriage being legal in Canada caused harm to heterosexual marriage in Canada?

I ask sincerely, because many Christians in the USA claim gay marriage being legal there will harm heterosexual marriages.

If their claim is true, we should already be experiencing these negative effects since gay marriage has been legal here for some time now.

(If this question offends anyone they shouldn't be on the internet, as I asked this in a way that was incredibly neutral)

@ Julia: Why should I care? I've recently decided to declare myself non-denominational in respect to my former church because I have doctrinal differences that I can't currently resolve.

@ Julia: I can't get over this article. So for the time being, with respect for the Catholic church, I'm stepping away because I can't come close to agreeing with the actions taken.

http://ncronline.org/news/justice/nun-excommunicat...

I have no desire to join a Protestant denomination, so currently I'm declaring myself non-denominational.

@ Julia: No response? Seriously?

@ Julia: I know how late it is where you live.

I posted an edit to the question you linked.

Good night.

• Favorite Answer

Rhetorical question—it hasn't!

Easy, I would say because It can bring huge financial and emotional stress.

Homosexuals can sue people who are exercising their religious beliefs. For example, a heterosexual married couple with children who do not want to rent a room in their their own family household to homosexuals could be sued for discrimination based on "sexual orientation." This can incur significant financial and emotional stress upon the family, not to mention the "prior restraint" effect of the fear of being sued which results in a family not renting out a room.

Gay Marriage means having the morals of the minority forced upon the majority.

This can also be said in the reverse. Either way, there is a problem. Normally, morals should not be forced on anyone, though there are exceptions. We force morals on others by preventing them from stealing, raping, murdering, etc. So, it is not automatically wrong to force morals on someone. But the issue then becomes what is morally right and wrong in the first place, and altering morals in a society definitely causes stress.

The percentage of homosexuals in society is less than 5%, yet it is being forced upon the other 95% of society in movies, TV, literature, and political periods.

Surprisingly the Netherlands hasn't collapsed either, and they've had gay marriage for two decades.

Gay marriage has been legal here in New York state for one year exactly, and the only effect is that we've gotten an estimated $400 million more pumped into the economy from some 8100 LGBT marriages.

Ever since gay marriage was legalized, I got mutant super powers and destroyed Ottawa in the pursuit of my life long quest to ban straight marriage. Oh, wait. No, I didn't.

I seriously don't get the logic of how it could possibly hurt het marriage. Unless everyone is afraid their spouses will divorce them and leave with their gay best friend? I don't even know.

Source(s): Canadian. I have never once seen anyone really question the legality of a same sex union even though I live in a podunk town.
  • Kevin

It simply hasn't. If more American voters were willing to look at: Spain, Canada, the Netherlands, South Africa, Argentina etc. and see that the "Religious Institution of Marriage" hasn't been crippled, than Same-Sex Marriage would already be legal.

Marriage, which isn't a religious institution (if it were, than Atheists couldn't get married), is different than it was milenia ago. Should we continue to enforce tyrany just because the Bible, which was compiled over 1600+ years ago? I hope not.

• cheir

Homosexual marriage was formally ratified in December 2006 and therefore has been in existence for under 6 years. It will take at least a generation for social studies to analyse its effects upon Canadian society.

It might mean less hockey on television and more US comedies with token gay characters.

Watch out! It's coming next!

Indeed. Canada still has lower crime and a better economy than us. And their life satisfaction ratings are higher, and divorce rates lower. They're beating us in most area's of life. Gay marriage doesn't seam to have hindered them at all.

Source(s): Minored in Rel Studies
  • Gay marriage hasn't affected heterosexual marriage here.

I live in the redneck capital of Canada and it hasn't affected marriages at all, except that there are now more weddings to celebrate. PARTY HARDY Alberta!

It hasn't.

In fact, haven't divorce rates gone down in Canada recently? That's what I heard.

To the angry Christians sure to answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0_8TpLi0wo

Youtube thumbnail