Natasha asked in PetsHorses · 8 years ago

Orphan foal - how long should he be on a pelleted milk replacer? Until weaning? ?

How long should orphan foals be on pelleted milk replacer if the nurse mare doesn't produce enough milk to fully support the colt on her own. Keep in mind it's an almost 3 month old colt an is on solids as well as what he gets from his nurse mare.

• .
    Favorite Answer

This is a vet question.

But it's not unheard of to have a foal weaned at that young of an age. Not ideal, mind you, but not entirely unheard of either.

I'm curious why the nursemare was chosen if she's unable to provide enough milk? Usually when a dam isnt' producing enough milk some carefully chosen drugs can be administered, but only a vet can prescribe them. I'm not going into detail here because I don't want my words misunderstood.

But if the foal has lost his dam, then certainly a vet check is in order anyway. And the equine vet can advise you on feed or milk replacer as well.

• mayedo

It relatively relies upon on the well being of the foal and the mare. If the two are nicely, 6 mos. is a sturdy time to start weaning. I had a neighbor that separated her foal and mare at 3 months. i presumed it became into too quickly, yet she supplemented the colt's nutrients plan nicely and neither has any of course destructive effects. If left on my own, i've got heard that a mare will proceed to permit the foal to nurse till it relatively is two-3 years previous.

• Ron Sr

Put him on Goats milk for another 2 months then wean him.

I think it would be best to ask a vet that specializes in equine medicine! If you have other horses then just use the vet you have previously used for them! :) hope this helps!