Is george rr martin comparable to tolkien?

personally, i prefer tolkien as he deals with themes that are timeless and universal. his stories are truly mythic in their impact on readers. tolkien believes that myth resonates with people in a deep way. like what corey olsen said, to appreciate tolkien, one has to go in it with the recognition that it will not... show more personally, i prefer tolkien as he deals with themes that are timeless and universal. his stories are truly mythic in their impact on readers. tolkien believes that myth resonates with people in a deep way. like what corey olsen said, to appreciate tolkien, one has to go in it with the recognition that it will not necesserily give you what a lot modern readers look for in a novel. that being said, i would say tolkiens works are deeper on a thematic level. martins works are said to be 'grittier' and more'realistic'. i dnt know what they mean by those terms but tolkien certainly knew a lot about the human condition as he himself experienced such a hellish and chaotic situation in the trenches of WW1. he himself fought in the battle of the somme and saw dead bodies everywhere.he saw the full horror of life. by the end of the war, all but one of his friends died. this experience of mechanized warfare as well as his own philiosophical beliefs pervade all his works. while george rr martin is an excellent world builder, his books are only meant to entertain, unlike tolkiens, which are meant for the thinking man. one more thing, the fact that his characters are 'gray' doesnt mean they are more realistic. i myself have met good and righteous people who have some of the brave and benevolent qualities of tolkiens good characters. and what about the influential figures throughout history who have contributed so much to humanity like gandhi, pope john paul ii, mother teresa, and pricess diana? if tolkiens characters arent realistic, i dnt know what is.
Update: oh yeah, i want to stress also the fact that tolkien also wrote a lot of trajic and grim stories like 'the children of hurin'. there is incest and cruelty in those stories also. whats surprising is that you also see a lot of jaded elf characters like feanor.'good is good', 'evil is evil'?... show more oh yeah, i want to stress also the fact that tolkien also wrote a lot of trajic and grim stories like 'the children of hurin'. there is incest and cruelty in those stories also. whats surprising is that you also see a lot of jaded elf characters like feanor.'good is good', 'evil is evil'? really? what about saruman, boromir, and gollum? what about sams unwillingness to trust gollum, which ultimately led gollum to verge on his bad side? what about frodo's and bilbos failure? what about denethor's psychosis and his relationship with his sons? i dnt think martin is comparable to tolkien. tolkien deals with themes that are higher than martin's. they are old themes that pervade the works of medieval literature like the illiad, the odyssesy and the canterbury tales.
Update 2: plus, tolkien wasnt interested in the problem of knowing right from wrong. he was more concerned about the psychology of the moment when you know right from wrong but arent sure whether you have the strength of will to act on that knowledge. there is certainly irony and ambiguity in the lotr. you just have to read... show more plus, tolkien wasnt interested in the problem of knowing right from wrong. he was more concerned about the psychology of the moment when you know right from wrong but arent sure whether you have the strength of will to act on that knowledge. there is certainly irony and ambiguity in the lotr. you just have to read it deeply since a lot of the elements in lotr is very subtle.
Update 3: and all tolkiens characters have the potential to be evil. they just choose not to be, like gandalf rejecting the ring.
2 answers 2