Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 8 years ago

Does anyone else have a Vision of a Community of Homesteading ppl?

I have had a vision for a few years now of a community of people who want to live off the land, really DIY style, like make everything from scratch so you are not reliant AT ALL on anything off your property, or at least as self-sufficient as possible. I studied factor-e farms but it seems way too high tech for me to even wrap my mind around at the moment. I like the idea of it but it's just too complicated and seems way distant and out of reach. I actually imagine a bunch of people living off the land and working together, self schooling and basically just enjoying their lives rather than living in order to pay the next months bills for a bunch of crap you don't want or need. Anyone else have this vision? I'm trying to get it together, now I have a **** ton of money right now and I can actually get it started, but I'm still in the planning stages. I guess I'm looking for advice and to see if anyone else has the same vision.

Favorite Answer

The Governor, DHHL Chairman, & community residents share the emotional experience of providing homes for 19 happy families.

Two years ago, Lizzie Evangelista was living on Maili Beach when she heard of Kaupuni Village in Waianae. Then, it was a vision for Hawaiian homesteaders to build a community, to connect with their culture, to grow their own food and to live in energy efficient houses.

Now, Lizzie no longer lives on the beach and her new neighbors in Kaupuni Village share a common joy of owning their homes.

Lizzie lives with her grandson and great-grandson in a home that will one day belong to her grandson. “I’m 68 years old. I don’t want them moving from house to house like I did. I want them to live in this house together,” Lizzie said. “Everything is just perfect.”

The Department of Hawaiian Home Lands and the Hawaiian people are giving all people of Hawaii a glimpse of how we could and should design all our communities. Communities built around building strong families, perpetuating our cultures, and being good stewards of our precious natural resources.

Thanks to partnerships with several organizations, the 19 families of Kaupuni live in LEED-platinum homes and are also expected to give back to their community and promote sustainability. Together, the families will plant a community garden and they will work in their community resource center, Hale Kumuwaiwai, to teach and learn the Hawaiian culture.

“You are taking on kuleana for this legacy because the way that you make the most of that opportunity has an impact on whether others will have that opportunity as well,” DHHL Chairman Alapaki Nahale-a told Kaupuni residents at the April 21, 2011 dedication. “It’s now going to be in your hands more than anyone else’s whether this project is viewed as a success.”