I VOTE
I VOTE asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 9 years ago

If I dropped 1 gallon of crude oil in a lake or in the ocean how many gallons of water would that contaminate?

Please no oil and water don't mix answers people!!!!

Favorite Answer

One million gallons

I suppose it could depend upon how lengthy it is sitting there for. Given that water and oil do not combine you could easy it up without inflicting lasting harm to the water. Nevertheless the lifeforms within the water shall be contaminated and die. One gallon is nothing in comparison with the BP oil spill.

Well which one are you dumping in? The answer will change based off whether its salt water or not as the composition differs.

"In a 10-minute span after spilling into the sea, 300 gallons of oil can spread to a radius of 160 feet and create a slick a fourth of an inch deep. After that, how far and fast the oil spreads depends upon the water's surface tension."

Surface tension of salt water and lake water are different so the distance and times will vary.

1000

ee