Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 9 years ago

What to use when drawing?

Now, i can just imagine people answering with 'a Pencil' but heres the deal; i really enjoy drawing and stuff and i wanted to know what kind of things i can use to really make my drawings good, like those special crayons or pencils. I know there is some sort of smudging thing.... Is there somewhere i can get these things other than a drawing or art store? Please be specific with what types. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

See, many think that you need special pens and pencils and stuff, and it's kind of exciting to use that stuff, I know, but I'm an intense artist, portrait artist. And without being prideful, they're pretty dang good and all I use is, a #2 pencil for drawing, an eraser, and for shading, a great tool is too use a Q-tip to soften the lines and shading overall. You could also try getting a gel pen (basically, just a nice ball point) to have sharp lines. But other than that, I'd say that people just get caught up in the fancy stuff. Try just a few tools and a Q-tip and see what happens. :)

• Tim D

Charcoal; a stump of tightly rolled paper; graphite stick; putty rubber; 4B–6B pencil; Conté crayon.

If you have access to the internet you can have them delivered to your address with no need to go to a drawing or art store.

But these things only make different types of marks, they are tools, they will not of themselves make your drawings “good” – some of them will take a deal of practice to get used to.

your tounge