How does the Savage Model 11 FCNS stack up against a Remington 700?

I'm trying to decide which one I want to get in .308 caliber but I'm leaning towards the Savage since I really like Savage guns. I see both names tossed around quite a bit, but would the Model 11 FCNS be the best gun to get if I just want to take it out of the box and put a good scope on it without having to jack around and change parts to get a good rifle?

Also if anyone has the rifle, does the FCNS have a bull barrel? I haven't seen anyone say for sure it does and the Savage website is down.

• august
    Favorite Answer

The Savage website worked fine for me just now.

The 11 FCNS is not a bull barrel. It's a standard barrel. It has an Accu-Trigger and Accu-Stock, though. Personally, I think that it's a better gun than a similarly-priced Rem 700 for the money.

Out of the box, Savage has a reputation for accuracy. Especially since it has the Accu-Stock, you really shouldn't have to change a thing. I have a 111 FCXP in .270 Winchester, no Accu-Trigger and no Accu-Stock, but it still shoots very nice groups.

I think you'd be more satisfied with the Savage. Good luck!

Savage Model 11 Bull Barrel

In 2012, I think that Savage delivers a significantly better product with higher build quality and the same or better performance for less money. To me, unless you're spending north of $1200 on a Remington 700 model there are simply a lot of better value options out there. The Savage 111 is one of those options. The Savage is butt ugly, but it is one of the most modular and easiest rifles to work on and the aftermarket options for upgrades (not that you are likely to need them) has narrowed the gap with the 700 to a large extent.

If it were my money, I would call the Savage a no-brainier.