About thermal paste on the CPU?

I opened up my PC, and took a look at the CPU. Then I rubbed my finger on the CPU a bit. And found out I got white stuff on my finger, which was thermal paste. There is still a small coating over it, will it over heat?

Favorite Answer

You rubbed your finger on the CPU. You should never do that, ever ever ever. The oil and skin cells that come off of your fingers you may never see with the naked eye, but that does in no way mean that they don't exist. The very presence of oil from your finger on the CPU or the Thermal Paste can cause the Thermal Paste to not do it's job properly. You need to clean the CPU with a trace amount of Rubbing Alcohol, apply a little bit of new Thermal Paste and then put the CPU Heat Sink back where it belongs.

Sometimes, the boxed processors come with a little tube of thermalpaste. However, I disagree with what others have said here. I always scrape that stock crap off of my new heatsink with a knife and clean it up with a little alcohol. Then I get THE BEST, which is Arctic Silver, comes in a small ejectable tube. It has real silver which provides superior contact performance and reduces the mpu temp by an average of 2 - 3 C, a good drop in temp! I put a little bit on the end of my index finger and apply it directly to the top of the processor, first up and down and then left and right until every micron of the mpu surface is coated. I NEVER use that junk garbage stuff on the CPU/heatsink. Are you going to risk a several hundred dollar investment over a $5 tube of Arctic Silver? The stock thermalpaste that comes with the processor will work, but its NOT as good as Arctic Silver.

If you took the heat-sink off, you have to clean both the heat-sink and the CPU and re-apply a good quality thermal paste. This ensures the heat from the processor is transferred to the heat-sink. Without the thermal paste, the heat-sink and CPU are not in full contact, and the processor temperature will climb to unacceptable levels.

It will overheat faster. Thermal paste basically absorbs heat so that the CPU stays cooler longer. I recommend that you purchase a tube of thermal paste and add more to prevent any heat damages. For now, don't use your computer for long periods of times to avoid any damages.

if you damaged the majority of the layer, then i would buy some new thermal paste and then clean the remaining old paste and apply a new layer (a small amount does the trick).

if you know how to monitor cpu temperatures , then keep an eye on them.