Mr asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 9 years ago

wearing white to a wedding?

I have a very simple white dress with a brown belt that I was planning on wearing to a wedding. It isn't THAT formal and is very simple so it's not like it'd upstage the bride. It could be dressed down to wear around town, but also dressed up to wear to a wedding. However, is it ok to wear white to a wedding? I only met the bride and groom once and am going with my boyfriend who knows them more. They are both very young, one is 19 and the other is 22 (I am 21).

• celine

Oh..The color of the costume will have to be the final of any ones situation at a marriage ceremony. I have a higher predicament with individuals who break every vow they recited inside a couple of years of getting hitched. This can be a better main issue. The marriage ceremony is solely an hour out of a very lengthy life collectively. Its no huge deal. Its the sentiment at the back of the tradition that's fundamental. Happily married for thirteen years (together 18) and why is it quite any of your concern who's and is not a virgin?? Definitely this is only a matter for the persons concerned and The Maker. I feel you sound too worried with the trivial, whilst you would be striking your excellent mind to make use of absolutely serving to individuals, instead of losing it being judgemental. This I see as extra of a sin. And for the document, some others are right. White has best been a 'trend' in marriage ceremony attire for the earlier a hundred and fifty years or so. A white marriage ceremony costume was visible more as a declaration of wealth and prosperity, most females married of their 'sunday nice' (normally gray, as a symbol of humbleness) and white, esp lace, confirmed the household had money, whcih was attractive to the potential grooms household. Blue has continuously been an emblem of purity in the Christian church. That is why mother Mary is at all times depicted sporting blue robes and females wear a blue token (ribbon or broach or garter) on their marriage ceremony day. Individuals often dont like the reality when is conflicts with their beliefs that they keep pricey.

No, you should not. and if you do, expect to hear about it from someone, and maybe someones.

It is incredibly rude, it could be compared to taking a 5 year old kid's birthday cake and presents and throwing them in the dumpster, so important is it that only the bride wears white.

It has become a tradition, a sacred right. And even if you don't mean to, even if the bride chooses another color to wear, it still looks like you are at least trying to steal the attention the bride is supposed to get, and her day. And you look like a some kind of a nut case. Because what kind of a person does something like that knowing full well that it is wrong. Some psychotic Mama of the bride is liable to smack you one upside your head.

Can you say sitting by yourself in a corner?

It's *extremely* tacky, don't do it. It makes it look like you know nothing about manners and that you're trying to upstage the bride. The only person who wears a white dress to a wedding is the bride.

Just don't. While its mostly about not upstaging the bride, it's also that the color has a HUGE amount of significance on that day, at that event. So it doesn't really matter how casual the dress is. If you want to get in good with your boyfriend's friends, don't be the girl that wore white to their wedding.

I wore an off white pant suit to my sister's wedding. I asked her first, she didn't mind. I wore a wine colored blouse and wine colored shoes which happened to be her bridesmaids colors. I have a friend who's worn a white pant suit with navy trim to 2 weddings. No one cared.

I've read it's okay because unless your dress is gown like, you're not going to upstage the bride even in white. Wear a shrug, sweater or jacket in a darker color (but not red) to cover up some of the white if you feel self conscious. Wear shoes that match the belt.

• lola

No, it's not acceptable to wear white to a wedding. That color is specifically reserved for the bride. If the dress you want to wear is mostly white, you'll have to find something else to wear.

I agree with the first answerer. Wearing a white dress to a wedding is just plain rude.

I've been to MANY weddings and only once did I see a guest wear a

white dress. Well, to make a boring story short, it didn't go over well.

It's not about the style of the dress, it's about the colour. Regardless of how simple your dress is, white is always reserved for the bride.

please, for the brides sake, just don't do it! find any other dress. a bride should be the only woman wearing white on her wedding day. if it were my wedding honestly i'd be extremely upset, i know it sounds immature, but just wear something else, it's her day, not yours.