Why Did Auto Manufacturers Stop Putting the High Beam Knob On the Floors of Cars?

Wasn't it more convenient and more accessible to have the unused left foot switch the high beams on and off in automatic transmission cars as opposed to having to shift your hands around the steering wheel to flip it with the indicator switch lever? I have found on many occasions that I was forced to blind oncoming motorists going around curves not being able to get my hand over to the other side of the wheel to flip the highs off in time. Has anyone else noticed this..?

Supported educated answers will get best consideration. Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Because besides the corrosion problem they decide to upgrade to a combination switch to save a few pounds of cooper wire and more room to rest the foot , if you see some car manufacturers even install a resting pad to make your driving experience more pleasant

Source(s): Leader mechanic

I never had one that corroded, and the salt gets heavy at times. The only problem I ever had was it jammed with sand - one whack with a hammer fixed it fine.

The "multi-function" switch stalk came about for a number of reasons, most coming at the same time. Convenience is a multi-reason. It was convenient for the manufacturers in many ways. It was convenient for the new drivers - who were all being taught "3 and 9" (o'clock, one hand each side of the wheel).

I miss the horn ring I could just lay a thumb on, too.

WHAT? I never drove one where it was on the floor so I can't speak which is more convenient, but I think it is really easy to use it on the indicator stick. First off I don't see much point for high beams, so really don't have a problem like you. Second I would switch off my high beams before I go around a bend like that, as if I can't see what is on the other side I have them off for the sake of other drivers. Just like when I am almost to the crest of a hill I shut them off until I am on the other side, just in case there is someone on the other side. I honestly think it would be annoying to use my foot for it, but like I said never drove one like that so I'm not sure.

If you have two hands, then you are supposed to have one on each side of the steering wheel. You should not need to get your hand over to the other side to flip off the high beams. You should use the hand that is already on that side.

Simple. The switches got corroded from wet floor mats, road salt, and sand. Plus, if the vehicle had a manual transmission, you're using your left foot for the clutch operation.

• Chok

It should be easier- thus cheaper for manufacturers to place the switch on the turn signal knob rather than have a switch on the floor

The main reason was that these switches were not waterproof and they corroded rather quickly in areas where they used salt on their roads in the winter.