Any case "Stephen" is pronounced "Steven"?

As far as I know, a male's name "Stephen" is pronounced like "Steven". Someone says that in UK it is "Stefan". Is it true?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"Stephen" is always pronounced the same as "Steven". The Welsh form of the name is "Steffan" (which is also part of the Welsh name for the city of Westminster - San Steffan, since it's named after St Stephen, which you might hear if you listen to Welsh radio or TV since it's used as shorthand for "Parliament"). In Welsh, FF is pronunced the same as F in English, while F is pronounced the same as V.

We have people from many countries living here, so you might come across someone of Polish or Serb origin, who is called "Stefan".

• 9 years ago

The majority of people would pronounce the name Stephen as Steven yes, however there is the possibility that it is actually Stefan, because of the general principle that a "ph" makes the same sound as a "f"

I have actually met someone called Stefan spelt Stephan, who was indeed Welsh. I always thought the "e/a" was crucial in telling you which is was StephEN = Steven StephAn = Stefan, but I could be wrong.

• 9 years ago

If they are British they would pronounce Stephen as Steven. I've never heard anyone British pronounce it like Stefan unless it was a joke

• Rita
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

There are some names that have preference of pronunciation and learning curves. There are social functions where there are both Stephen's and Steven's in the room. In some case of this one with this spelling like Myself will be called "Steffen".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

It's My name and I get obsessed about the spelling from time to time because it can be difficult live with. it looks Me in the face Mail box, mail, medicines. I usually keep in mind what My 9th grade teacher told Me when a girl class mate saw My name written on the chalkboard she giggled and said "You're Steffen" I was naturally defensive and said "It's Stee-ven!" The teacher said in the pronunciation icons for Your name it's both. One is the "Ye old English way" and the other is because of the way it looks, the "PH" in our American language makes an "F" sound and they're consonants making to much space between the two E's.

Source(s): "Selph" experience.
  • JOHN G
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

RR - there is no V in the Welsh alphabet so the letter is pronounced the same a F when using English words.

• Ryu
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

No, it's always Steven.

Stefan is an entirely different name

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

We mostly say "Steven". Sometimes it is spelled that way. However, I knew a Welshman who pronounced his name as "Steffan". I don't know how he spelled it.

• 9 years ago

Tomato, potato.

• 9 years ago

Can go either way.

Source(s): Duhh
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.