Ear Cartilage and Swim? Please Help!!!?

I'm planning on getting my ears pierced the 6th of July, and am wondering if I can go swimming at all, like maybe wear a waterproof band aide or something? I am going to a tattoo parlor and getting a small stud and having them use a needle. I'm not a big swimmer or anything but considering it IS summer..And I am going on a boating trip with friends for Labor Day in SEPTEMBER (WHAT ABOUT SWIMMING THEN???) Also, I figured I could just get it later in the year so I wouldnt have to worry about swimming or anything but this is my best friends and mine's big fourth of july trip and have been planning the piercing forever. THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HELP YOU CAN GET <3

SORRY. I didn't explain right!!! I am piercing my right cartilage. not too high up, but a bit. Just for clarification.

Favorite Answer

Even if you clean it right afterward it could still get infected while it is healing...anywhere you would swim is going to be filled with bacteria and helix (cartilage) piercings take 6-12 months to heal. It's best not to wear band-aids over a piercing but if you absolutely have to swim, that's what you need to do and it needs to be a big one so you're not putting pressure on your piercing. It would be best to get it pierced at the end of the summer if you want to avoid risk of infection though.

And no twisting the jewelry like the other answers say. That drags in crust and bacteria and tears up the inside of the piercing.

Source(s): have had 28 piercings

I just got an ear piercing in the cartilage about a week ago and I've been swimming a lot since then and it's perfectly fine. Just make sure you clean it with the stuff they give you and twist the piercing.

and to other answer, you are supposed to twist it. That's what they tell you to do when you get it pierced. -_-

I have mine pierced too and I am a swimmer. As long as you use a cleaner and twist the earring every couple hours you'll be fine!

• Tiana

It Should Be Fine . Just Clean It Really Good .