i have ssi but i was denied for SSD can i keep my ssi?

I was approved SSI in january and then got a letter in june that said i was denied for SSD does this mean I loose my SSI? any help would be appreciated.

Favorite Answer

It depends on the reason for the denial. I am assuming that the SSD denial notice stated you were not eligible because you did not have enough work credits. If this is the case, then your SSI is not affected. However, if you were denied SSD because you were found to not be disabled, then your SSI would be terminated also because both programs use the same definition of disability.

You need to read the denial notice to see the reason for the denial. You can also call Social Security to ask for an explanation. There should be a phone number on the denial notice. This info is general in nature and not a substitute for legal advice.

I was denied back in 2009 for SSD for the work credits and they said I was disabled. I applied again in 2014 because I have serious medical and mental issues. once again I was denied but time they said it was because back in 2009 I was denied. This 2015 my medical and mental issues are way worse!! So this time I applied for both SSI and SSD, I got a denial for SSD, does that mean I was denied for both? I dont understand if my situation is different now and I'm doing a brand new claim why they keep referring to 2009???

You need work credits to get ssdi. You mostly likely were denied because you do not have them. Having a disability alone is not a qualification for ssdi.