How do you make HEALTHY french toast?

Im willing to make a healthier french toast using small slices of 100% whole wheat slices ,i do not want butter ingrediants or anything unhealthy.I need all healthy substitutes for my breakfast. Im not really familer with cooking this on a pan so im using a griddle i just bought for my mom

Additional info-im 14, i need this recipe for tommorow,and the only ingrediants i got down are simple things like the wheat bread,eggs ,vanilla extract. Help?

Favorite Answer

Use whole wheat bread, and use just egg whites instead of the whole egg. You will need some sort of oil or butter to get it really toasted - I'd try a very small amount of olive oil in the pan(a very heart healthy fatty oil, good for you), or low cal non oily spray butter.

If you want to sweeten it, try whole ground cinnamon, sugar substitute, or if necessary, some very light syrup, there are 0 calorie syrups out there I believe.

I have been making French toast for the last 40 years from whole wheat bread, milk, and eggs. Sometimes I use a sprinkle of nutmeg in the batter. And I've never had the slightest desire to put vanilla in it, not that there is anything unhealthy about vanilla extract. Please explain what is unhealthy about that basic recipe, because I don't know what it might be. If anyone is vegan, or has health reasons why they can't eat any of those ingredients, that's a different story, but for the average person there is nothing unhealthy about a basic French toast recipe. Depending on your cooking pan, you might use a bit of oil so the toast doesn't stick, but you don't need much.

Just dont add all the powdered sugar and syrup. Just eat it plan.