Tattoo idea for going against the flow/an uphill battle?

First of all, I am not a rebel. Or at least, not in the traditional way.

I am transgender and I have been swimming upstream my whole life, so to speak, due to the lack of societal acceptance. On top of being transgender, I am a Humanist (hence my name), which is also not very accepted in a culture where Christianity is the majority. I generally just see the world in a different light than what is accepted as the norm.

So now my question is, I'm trying to come up with an idea to represent this aspect of me. It needs to fit on my forearm, roughly. I have considered the fish trying to swim upstream, but that seems a little generic. A literal uphill battle has also been an idea, but I don't think that it will fit right on my forearm. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could get in order to represent this? Thanks.

Well, there's always the image of Atlas, the Greek god who had the world on his back. His image is highly popular among those who shoulder heavy burdens. Best I can do on short notice. Take good care.

Source(s): I'm a professional tattoo artist, 10 yrs.