How long does it take a movie just released to reach netflix?

Does Netflix stream recently released movies? For example if avengers is to be released in cinema's on the 19th of july 2012 how soon will netflix have it available to stream?

Thanks in advance

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

In general, major motion pictures do not become available to stream for up to 10 years because of first run rights that the premium channels have. Netflix has made a number of agreements to help with this problem. The most significant of these is the deal with EPIX. This arrangement grants Netflix access to titles from Lionsgate, MGM and Paramount 90 days after they arrive at EPIX. This translates to about 8-10 months after the movie is released in theaters. The Avengers is distributed by Paramount. I would not expect Netflix to have it before January of next year. They have also made deals for first run rights with DreamWorks, The Weinstein Company and FilmDistrict. Best Picture winner "The Artist" will be on Netflix immediately after its disc exclusivity period ends.

• Diana
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

Some of the movies don't end up on Netflix. If they are really good like Harry Potter then I doubt they will ever be on Netflix. Sometimes the producers(I think) dont want to give Netflix the right to put it up because they will get less money out of it. But if it will be on Netflix then it will probably take months.

• Jeffy.
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

There is no set answer. Netflix does not have their pick of whatever films it wants to show. They have to have permission. It won't be before the DVD release which is usually about 5 months, sometimes much longer.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Netflix won't have it until the DVD is released unless they strike a deal with the companies that produce these films to release them sooner (possible, but not likely).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Never thought too much about this

• 6 years ago

a long long time

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Would like to know more about this as well

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.