my mom got bitten by a dog?

ok what should i do in this case, my mom got bitten by a dog, the dog was in a leash but it was being walked by a little girl, i guess she lost control of the dog. the bite is just a bruise. what am i supposed to do according to law. i called the police and they said i could file a report or talk to the owners but didnt give me a real answer. what would be the best thing to do?

if its just a bruise I wouldn't worry about it.

If your mum is worried she can file a report but for that she needs to know the name and number of the owners. The first point of call is filing a report.

If you're serious about suing them or something, you need photos of the bruise, witnesses, details (where it was, what happened leading up to the bite, ect) statement of impacts and get a lawyer.

Otherwise you're just wasting your own time, money and police resources

Well, here in Australia I would call the RSPCA and see what they say, if your mums fine don't worry about it. If you know where they live, just have a talk to the owners about it. Probably best thing is RSPCA because the dog might have a history of biting.

Have the police make out a report.

Source(s): ....I am a retired police officer. I retired as a sergeant, after 29 years, from a very large department, about 12,000 officers. I was a patrol officer for 4 years in a very diverse area. I was a tactical officer in the high rise project areas of my city. We called it vertical patrol in that we walked the the stairways of the high rises most of the time. I did that for 5 years and was promoted by test to detective. I worked violent crime (homicide, sex, officer involved shootings, robbery, kidnapping, serious non property incidents) for 11 years until I was promoted to sergeant. I worked as a street supervisor, a bicycle patrol supervisor and a desk sergeant/watch commander. During my time as a tactical officer and a detective I was a unit representative for the police union. I have a B.A in English and an M.S. in Law Enforcement Administration....