Remington 870 wingmaster vs express?

Im new to guns, so im not sure of the difference. I would definentially be getting a 12 gauge to hunt mostly deer, but second i might do some pheasants or turkeys or something like that. Also, if its called the wingmaster, is it meant for just birds?

thanks!

Favorite Answer

Hello "Momoloo"!

The Remington Model 870 design has been around for well over 50 years, and when it first came out, it was called the "Wingmaster".

The Model 870 Wingmaster is Remington's "top of the line" pump action shotgun. It has a walnut stock and a deep blue on its' steel receiver and barrel. There are 2 grades of the Wingmaster, the field version, and the trap classic (all of the bells and whistles for trap shooting).

The Model 870 Express is the economy version of the Wingmaster, and available (in some respects) for up to $500 less than a Wingmaster. While the design is the same, the materials and fit are not the same. Typically, the receiver is milled from a block of aluminum, not steel. The stock and pump forearm can be had in either a "hardwood" or synthetic, and the finish is a rough matte, somewhat like a military rifle's "parkerizing".

In all honesty, to me the Model 870 Express feels "light", and the action does not seem to be as solid or tight. For experienced shooters, those who had been brought up with the classic shotguns milled from steel, the Wingmaster has been retained, but for the new shooter, who has not experienced the classic shotguns, the Express is out there, and more readily affordable.

If you do your job correctly when you are "afield", the game will die a quick death and not be able to tell whether they were shot by a Model 870 Wingmaster or a Model 870 Express. For the most part, both have available 24" buck barrels, and ventilated rib barrels in: 26", 28", and 30" lengths.

Good luck and good shooting!

Source(s): Master Class competitive rifleman Expert Class competitive pistol shot Reloader of over 124,000 rounds Over 30 years of firearms and reloading experience NRA Endowment Life Member

Remington 870 Express Vs Wingmaster

Remington 870 Wingmaster Vs Express

• Jack

The Wingmaster is a higher grade of 870 than an Express. The fit and finish is a lot better. Until the last 7 or 8 years I was a dyed in the wool Remington fan. But Remington's quality has gone down especially in their lower grade guns. Though their higher grade guns are OK. As far as the Express goes I would now buy a Mossberg 500 before an Express. And to answer your question you can shot anything with a Wingmaster that you can shoot with an Express.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Remington 870 wingmaster vs express?

thanks!

Source(s): remington 870 wingmaster express: https://tr.im/3c50M

Jack mostly summed it up.

The Wingmaster features better metal and wood. The Wingmaster has a polished high luster blued steel finish on the barrel and receiver and has a genuine walnut stock. The Express models have a dull parkerized metal finish and comes with a hardwood (birch?) stock. They both do about the same thing - but I prefer the higher-priced Wingmaster.

As for quality in recent years, I wasn't aware of any issues with Remington. But the last new Remington pumps I bought were about 7 years ago. So I didn't know there were any QA issues.

No its not just for birds, id go with a remington because they always make quality products and its a good all around hunting shotgun