Southern Utah National Parks Snow?

Hi,

Was thinking about visiting some of the national parks in southern Utah this fall, but don't want to run into any snow. I am not sure how far the snow belt goes down south in this park of the country. Just need a little help as far as when the snow typically starts to fall here.

Was thinking late October or early November, is this a good time or should we try to make it a bit earlier?

Also with a week to spend here what would be the best places to see first? Any tips would be appreciated?

Thanks

Tim

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Robert
    Lv 6
    7 years ago
    Best Answer

The only national park that could get snow at this time would be Bryce Canyon because of its high elevation. Even so, I would try to start your trip no later than October 15.

There are 5 major national parks in Utah---

Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon, Zion, and Capitol Reef. You also have Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park. Arches and Canyonlands are really not in Southern Utah but rather more in the middle of the state. If you do go to Monument Valley, you might want to consider also going to Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado and 4 Corners National Monument as well.

My top choices for you to visit would be Arches, Zion, and Bryce Canyon. Since Bryce Canyon is at 9000 feet, it will be chilly there so bring appropriate clothing. The others should be very pleasant for hiking around. The nights will also be quite chilly. There should be very few visitors during the time you are going so you will have the place to yourself.

Arches-2 days

canyonlands-half day

capitol reef-1 day

bryce-2 days

zion-1 day

monument valley-half day

mesa verde-1 day

plus travel time. If you are pressed for time, I would forget Capitol Reef and Canyonlands and concentrate on the other parks. If you are just going to ride through the parks and not get out and hike the trails, you could do each park in a shorter time but you will definitely miss out on a lot of great scenery and adventure.

Source(s): been to all of these places
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

October will be fine for most parks except the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Take a look at http://visitingparks.com/TourSWUtah.html Each park in the area has a weather button so you can check them any time. Also there are videos and maps showing how to get there.

• 7 years ago

Well since there was snow on the ground when I went to the Grand Canyon in late November, it sure does get to the higher elevations in Utah.

And the snow added to the scenery. So don't let it scare you.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Snow in the West is a factor of altitude ; nothing more and nothing less

The snowline is basically at 5500'

Get over 5500' and go into it

Lose altitude and get out of it....which is nice to know if you're on US 89A driving thru Jacob Lake AZ in blizzard conditions

Use your transition from Pinyon to Ponderosa Pine to judge altitude

Source(s): Used to live 90 minutes NE of GCNP and drive thru jacob lake twice a week for 18 months
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

i might say Bryce, Zion and Grand Canyon in that order. The Grand Canyon is pleasing place, however the conventional vacationer spends basically 4 hours. except you have the time and potential to bypass down the canyon, it is going to likely be problematic just to seem. Bryce and Zion are a splash greater accessable to oridinary persons.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.