Isn't the plural word of tornadoes, Twister?

My family and I are arguing if multiple tornadoes at one time is called twister.

5 Answers

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    A tornado and a twister are the same exact thing, just different names. The singular is tornado and plural is tornadoes. Twister and twisters.

    Source(s): Storm spotter/chaser
  • 9 years ago

    As Recycle writes, tornado, twister and cyclone are the same word, only that "twister" is English, "tornado" means the same but in Spanish, and "cyclone" means the same but in Greek.

    There are a couple of Spanish words that are used in American meteorology: tornado and derecho. The latter means, straight, and is the front of a squall line. "Cyclone" is used to call a low pressure as the wind "twists" around its center.

    Here is another difference in the American meteorology: what we call a foehn wind in Europe is called a Chinook wind in the US and what is called an advection fog, elsewhere is called a lake-effect fog in the US.

  • 9 years ago

    "A twister" or "a cyclone" are just other ways to say "a tornado".

    The plural, as you rightly said, is tornadoes.

    If multiple tornadoes are happening at once they call it a multiple-vortex tornado.

  • 9 years ago

    No twister is just another name for a tornado. They're synonyms. So tornado and tornadoes or twister and twisters. :)

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

    Im pretty sure a tornado is just a smaller version of a twister.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.