Jury duty, what to expect?

I have been summonded for Jury Duty on June 25th and I'm not sure what to expect. What happens when you go? how long does it take them to select people? and hypothetically if I do come in and they want me to come back is it the next day (and everday after) or do they skip days? I'm missing work to go to Jury Duty and I'm just wondering when I'll be able to come back to work.

Favorite Answer

Congratulations on jury duty. It is an honor and a privilege.

There is no set timetable for when and if you'll be selected for a jury and how long a trial lasts. You can count on spending plenty of time sitting around the courthouse. At some point, you and the other jurors may be taken to the courtroom where lawyers for the case will select you for the jury. They'll ask you questions pertaining to the case. Answer them truthfully. Based on your answers, you'll be selected for the jury (or not).

If you're not selected, you'll go back to the jury room. If you are selected, you and the other jurors will sit in on the trial. You'll hear testimony from witnesses and experts and you'll be shown evidence. Then, you'll discuss the case and reach a decision known as a verdict. The verdict must be unanimous.