Is it bad that My daughter likes to do this?

She's 5 years old and likes to tie herself up to chairs or table legs.sometimes she gets scotch Tape and puts it over her own mouth. she asks me to tie her (up in a playful way) but i discourage her from doing this. i don't know where she learned this..t.v. maybe? she has a great imagination and is very smart and physically healthy. Should i be concerned about this behavior?

Favorite Answer

Does she then try and escape? If so then don't be too worried.When I was little my brothers and I use to play this game where we'd tie one up (not hard of course)to a chair then the other two would go and hide, the person in the chair would escape then. Run out of the room to find the other two and so on. It used to be one of my favorites because I felt like I was in an adventure movie and I liked the challenge of getting out of a tough knot,it made me feel smart also, especially when my brothers praised me for my quick escape.So as long as she isn't harming herself or doing it as punishment then it's fine.But again only if she trys to escape.If you still don't know why then try talking to her and asking her,but not in a your crazy way in a casual way.

Source(s): I did this when I was 5 years old too

She probably did learn it from TV or from a friend. Don't let her waste your tape by playing "tie up" games. Don't let her use your tape and possibly get herself stuck and in trouble. Give her some other things to play with so she won't want to go looking for your tape. It sounds like she doesn't have enough to do with her time! Get her some more toys and dress-up clothes so she'll stay busy!

I don't think there is anything you should be concerned about. I used to do the same thing when I was little, and I am now 15 and am told that I am very stable mentally. It is probably from tv or stories, where the female characters are stolen and locked away and their hero saves them... or something like that. I think it is all fun and games.

I know that I grew out of it. She is probably just using her imagination. I used to get my little sister to tie me up or bury me or trap me in some other way.

I hope I helped :)

There is an episode of a nickelodeon show where there are three teens tied up to a chair and enjoying it. She probably got the idea from this. I wouldn't worry too much about, she is young and probably wants to copy the show. Just relax and if you want to help stop give her something else to do.

wow you need to turn off the tv

i hope your trolling, but yeah you should be concerned about her behavior. and maybe look into therapy?

• um take her to shrink before you shrink