How popular are American remakes of UK television shows in the UK?

There's been a bunch like the Office, Skins, they're doing an American version of Mistresses for the 2013 season. They're also developing an American version of Sherlock (with Bennedict Cumberbatch).

So do any of you in the UK like the American remakes too? Was there ever a UK show that you didn't like, but when they remade it in America you liked the remake?

Favorite Answer

Most of the big shows over here, are on "normal" terrestrial tv, so the general public gets to see them. That's the case with Sherlock (BBC1) the Office (BBC2), Skins (Ch4), Mistresses (BBC1), Life on Mars (BBC1), even Shameless (Ch4), whereas most american shows generally, but these new big remakes are either on Sky, or/and then put on terrestrial tv at about 1.30 in the morning. So unless you're really keen to see it, you don't. I mean Mad Men (which is huge in the US) is on BBC at about half 11 on a Sunday night. Hardly prime time viewing.

I don't know if its a bit of a catch 22 situation, that US re-makes are never really that popular so they're on late, so they're never really that popular because they're on so late so no one sees them?

BUT what I would say is, most of us don't see the point of the US remake. I mean take Life of Mars for example, I do see why you guys remade it, but for your market, the success was due to the nostalgia, and you wanted your own nostalgia, but why would us Brits want to see that? The logic of the british one not being a hit in the US would be exactly the same the other way around. That is baring the poor acting etc, he was no Gene Hunt. If you want to remake stuff fine, just keep it to yourselves. Like everything, the original is always the best. If you've never seen or don't understand the original, then it doesn't matter. But if you have, a re-make is never going to compare.

I didn't like the UK office so Ive also never watched the US one. Like someone else said, most of the time we don't particularly like US humour, which is why drama series do better. But again, if we've already watched the drama series (like Shameless) we know whats going to happen. Why would be want to watch it again?

Time will tell with Sherlock, the whole having Lucy Lui as Watson is something that's either genius or is going to kill it. But Sherlock itself was an unlikely sucess, so who knows?

• kelly

I cant think of any US shows that have been re made for UK audiences . Its normally the other away round .

Who wants to be a millionaire ? American Idol . Big Brother . Americas Got Talent , Skins The office ,Shamless , ALL British all re made for US audiences . None as good as the original

Love the US Office. US Skins is dreadful as was the US Life on Mars. The American Shameless is ok mainly because of William Macy's performance, but not as good as the original

HAHAHAHA NO

WE ******* HATE THEM!

The skins one was diabolic and embarrassing to watch. I've never watched the office.

The life on mars one was pretty bad as well, I have yet to seen the Sherlock one and I'm not sure I want to.

I mean the US in the capital for entertainment, but when another country makes something that's amazing you try and copy it and then you make it bad, and frequently make more money for some reason.

I like the American version of Top Gear.

Don't know about the others, but 'The Office' was done really well in the US version.

Not all translate particularly well. The same goes the other way. British versions of US shows can be dire.

I wasn't all that keen on the American Office.

@Rose: If you watched an episode of the Office US version, you'd take back that whole comment. It's hilarious, Steve Carell was great.

I never really liked American Humour.