Why don't people respect 13 year olds?

I'm 13 and I don't get why people don't treat them nicely. Why not?

@SMLYON: Actually I do understand. People think 13 year olds are immature little kids who don't know everything. This is true, but there are some who are quite precocious. Society is very judgemental. They usually compare them to when they were that age, but just because they were, doesn't mean we are. It depends on the individual.

@Alex Stark: Yes I have done things worthy of respect. I've been in 4H for 2 years. If you don't know what that is then look it up. I've also done things for my community. I am also not whining, I am simply asking a question.

@AJ: Indeed that is true. 13 is still a young age and we have many years yet to live. But some have reached a higher peak of maturity than others. Not all are as immature as they are described as. Maturity comes in different ways, and at different ages.

I think some of you misunderstood. I did not mean to make this an argument, and if I made it seem that way, I apologize. I was just trying to get a point out there, that you can't judge every person by things like their age. Again, not trying to argue but @lilypond.: You're the immature one for coming to that assumption. Also if you knew exactly what place I'm at right now, you wouldn't say that. I'm sorry that you misunderstood me. You can't say that about me because you don't know me, therefore you don't know my maturity and how much respect I deserve. Again, not arguing, just trying to prove a point. I'm also not implying that I deserve a lot of respect or that I'm the most mature of my age group. If I was implying that, then I would be very immature.

Favorite Answer

Honey, what's your point?

You're arguing with people who just leaves answers and their honest opinions. If you don't agree with them, it's better to just leave it alone and move onto the next answer. You cannot force them to believe or do anything they do not want to. Yes, it seems that you have reached a higher maturity than most kids, but most kids have not.

So dear, just leave it alone and ignore it.

Life goes by fast, you'll be 18 and moving out of the house in no time. *Then you'll miss being a kid.*

People don't treat 13 years old very nicely because well, some kids think that 12 to 13 is a big leap and think they know everything and act like a smartbum. I'm not saying all are like this, just most.

Therefore, most people do not have that high of respect for children who think they are mature enough to be adults but are still children.

If your parents are still making food for you, laundry and paying bills for you, you are still a kid.

Just the fact your arguing with people who you asked opinions from proves a 13 year olds immaturity. Hence, unrespectable

• I'm thirteen. I disagree with ?'s comment, because I know I have lfe ahead of me along with it's lessons and values. It's nearly impossible to know everything at a young age...or in my perspective. I guess because we are starting off our teenage years and are stereotyped by the typical, bad baby teen? Iunno.

@Picking: Oye, un momento.

I'm 13 as well, but I've never really run into this problem. If you act like a mature adult who is beyond our paltry years, then you won't get this kind of treatment anymore.

People who are respected are those who have earned it. Have you done anything worthy of respect? I'm 15 and respected by some people because of all the volunteer work I do and other stuff. See? Don't whine if you don't wanna earn it.

Because 13 years olds think they know everything. They think its a big difference between the number 12.

IDK. I am 13 too and I mean, I don't really get treated bad. What do you mean they don't treat you nicely. Like, who are you talking about. Parents, teachers, or just other 13 year olds?

• Autumn

They are immature and not grown.

When you're older you'll understand why.