Is my laptop ruined? Please help!?
I spilled maybe a tablespoon or a little more of milk onto my laptop and immediately turned it upside down and powered it off. After a few minutes I took the battery out and left it upside down for a while. I haven't turned it on since, but am a little scared to. Should I take it apart and see if there is any milk in it and clean it off? What should I do?
- doruletz1999Lv 79 years ago
You could, but the best thing would be to....
immediately shut down your laptop and remove the battery as well as the AC adapter.
Open the lid with the screen to the maximum allowed by the hinges and flip upside down. In this position wipe with soft lint free absorbent cloth.
Get a cardboard box big enough to fit the open laptop inside and fill with rice, YES rice.
Completely bury your laptop in rice in the same upside down position. Let sit overnight and say a prayer in hope that the rice will absorb all the moisture from inside your laptop.
After at least 8 to 10 hours remove laptop from rice, insert the battery, flip to the normal position, plug in the power adapter and power on.
In most cases the laptop will work just like before the spill.
WHATEVER YOU DO JUST DON'T BLOW DRY IT!! The static electricity would kill it.
- Bassman1Lv 79 years ago
You should not turn it on, you should remove all the access covers on bottom, remove battery then wait a few days to a week for the liquid to dry completely then reinstall battery and all access covers on bottom and power it on. Use a hair dryer on low/medium setting to speed the drying time.
Then it should work unless the milk drained into and onto the mother board which would be doubtful in that small amount.
- Andy TLv 79 years ago
Turn it on about 1 or 2 days after, in the mean time put it out on a window to air dry.
- Mark CrismonLv 49 years ago
Yup, that's the best thing to do right now, try following these steps
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- kyle broflovskiLv 49 years ago