What prompts theists/atheists to save a drowning man that calls for help?

Do you think that

a) The theist first considers the eternal ramifications of his soul, and spurred by fear of the penalty of hell fire vs. the soothing assurance of heaven.... and then jumps in?

b) The atheists considers the consequences of knowingly rejecting some evolved social contract, perhaps resulting in their chastisement by the clan?

or..

c) Both are instinctively drawn to do good and avoid evil.

* Note; "D" Options welcome.

Update:

((Seals)) Surely it can't be merely out of convenience that you fail to mention thousands of people daily also seek out degrees in theology and philosophy? How primitive. ((just like my troll))

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Your overthinking it.Gosh.

Id save someone because it is the right thing to do.I'm not going to be thinking of his soul and all that

nonsense.Its the right thing to do.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Chapter 8

The baptism of little children is an evil abomination—Little children are alive in Christ because of the Atonement—Faith, repentance, meekness and lowliness of heart, receiving the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end lead to salvation. About A.D. 401–21.

• brmxld
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

You save the person regardless of your current stance on religion in general because you know that there might be the chance that you are the only person that can help in that situation. Cowards turn away and play pass the buck when others are in need.

• 9 years ago

D. Not all theists/atheists would do such a thing. There exists people, called "psychopaths", who have dysfunctional neurology and cannot learn empathy or the consequences of being empathic towards others. It stands to reason then, the reason we do such things is simple learning.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

*sigh*

Mate, human emotions and drives shouldn't be cheapened or boiled down to primitive notions of "bad and good".

Let me ask you, if morality or good and evil exist, why the hell are there hundreds of thousands of people getting degrees or PhDs every year in psychology, psychiatry, ethology, neuroscience, sociology etc etc?

If everything can be boiled down or simplified to "bad or good" why is animal behaviour, including in humans, so much more complicated than religion would have you believe?

((((DD)))))

• 9 years ago

C

The people who don't jump in are either psychopaths - or people who waste so much energy thinking and talking about A and B that they cannot face reality. They will keep safe and dry and invent excuses.

• 9 years ago

D) They both don't like the prospect of the man dying because they didn't help. It's for the sake of their consious, their sanity, and because it's just common sense to try to save someone who is easily saveable.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

D: Game over he just drowned cause it took me so long to decide between A, B, C. Oh well - next time :D

• 9 years ago

Do you understand the concept of compassion?

If yes, you understand my motivation.

• 9 years ago

Compassion. We are made in God's image.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.