Amy asked in SportsCycling · 9 years ago

Which is better? A backpack or a messenger bag for bike riding to school?

I know there are many pros and cons of each, but overall and mostly from personal experience, what are your thoughts about each?

Some likes the backpack because it is evenly distributed and doesnt hang to one side but some complain that it sits higher on your back and makes it difficult to move your shoulders.

Others prefer the messenger bag but then again, it hangs off to one side and might get in the way.

Overall, which one is better?

Thanks to everyone who answered! I will be riding to and from college from my house. My college is 3-4 blocks from my house so it will be like a 5 minute ride.

• DS

For your backpack complaint, you can adjust the straps to let it sit lower. All backpacks have adjustments for the main straps, should be pretty obvious.

For your messanger bag complaint, you can sling it further behind you so its essentially on your back, not off to one side.

For the other poster who complained about straining your back; get a proper backpack with hip straps and the weight will be evenly distributed. Plus any ride under 10 miles even with a fully loaded backpack shouldn't strain your back. If it does then you need to workout more often.

If you're riding long distances then use whatever bag you want but get a rear rack to strap it to while you ride. My biggest problem with riding to school with either bag was that it left a sweat mark on my back. I've never had a "sore" back even with all my big books and laptop in there. Not a problem at all.

Neither. Both place a strain on back muscles & the spine. Add a rear rack to your bicycle.

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/gear/racks/wide-...

i prefer a backpack! no problems at all